bow hook repair/replace

xGH0ZTx

Seaman
bow.jpgbow (2).jpgbow (3).JPG

I am not sure the proper way to repair this. It is snug under the bow but can reach the hardware holding the hook on.

Also any ideas on how to remedy the bent trailer metal in the first pic? Hammer straight maybe?
I appreciate the help as always.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral
Re: bow hook repair/replace

Replace the bow eye .. 2 bolt eye ..

Backer plate is needed for the install ..

Mini bump :) .

YD.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

i see a couple of issues there.....

first off......the trailer nose catch is in the wrong spot......it needs to be higher than the bow eye......
this is what caused your problems in the first place.
second...the wood block that the bow eye bolts thru is rotted out.

you will have to get into the forcastle of the boat....(in the nose) and replace that wood block like yd says.
glass that puppy in good.
after you repair the glass and gellcoat.....and reinstall the bow eye.......you need to raise the trailer winch pole so the bow eye is lower than the nose holder.

if you have an accident....the bow eye is suppose to hit the nose holder of the trailer so the boat does not launch off like a rocket.

xGH0ZTx

Seaman

_0856.JPG_0880.jpg

Heading to the lake for a week. May end up replacing the wood backing this fall.
Summer here is just too short. I am pleased with the results though.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

if you screwed that into rotted wood.....or an area with no backing plate....i suggest you float on the trailer.....and make sure you are the only one cranking it up......

but....its there.....good enough for the cops to see its connected

Sea18Horse

Chief Petty Officer

if you have an accident....the bow eye is suppose to hit the nose holder of the trailer so the boat does not launch off like a rocket.

Little gem of information here. I did not know this, never really thought about it. Makes perfect sense though. My boat trailer was/is just like the o/p. Except being a driftboat the bow is much more vertical than on most of the boats featured here. In the future I will remember this. Thanks.

Cheers...................Todd

xGH0ZTx

Seaman

I also have a strap holding the bow down to the trailer so it is really secure.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

There are also those transom straps that kinda prevent that kind of launching .. ;) .

The Bow Eye is mainly for winching your boat snug on the trailer, keep it from sliding off the trailer when hauling and for towing to shore if needed. Other then that its basically useless.

Also I would be very surprised if that backing was NOT alum.

You might be able to just Uninstall the eye..then rebed with some fast cure 5200 and tighten that puppy back up ( using a New nylock nut or new lock washer and double nuts on the inside assuming your with alum plate and the glass is not comprimised ..just loose .. ).

YD.