Shift Rod O-Ring Goes Where?

dereck_coons

Cadet
Ok its a 1986 1990 Evinrude 120 long shaft. I got water getting into lower unit. So I have replaced the oil seals on the drive shaft, and was going to replace O ring on the shift rod but the schematics show an o ring under the cap. I cant figure out what good putting an o ring under the cap would do. There was what looked like salt water corrosion under the cap. Does the o ring go under the cap or on top of the cap under the spacer? Help would be appreciated.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Shift Rod O-Ring Goes Where?

Pull the cap off of the g/c and you will find the shift rod o ring in the cap where the shift rod goes through it. You can remove it with a good pick. Screw the shift rod in and count the turns till it bottoms. Then take the shift rod out by unscrewing it completly and then remove the cap to get at the seal. When installing the rod bottom it and back it off the same number of turns. Should keep you from having to adjust shift rod height.

dereck_coons

Cadet
Re: Shift Rod O-Ring Goes Where?

Thank You,

There was a bit of salty like corrosion around the under side of the cover, couldn't see the o ring for the crud. That little o ring sure is jammed up in there, would not have ever thought of looking up in there to find it. It makes sense though now that I see how its supposed to work.
Thanks a lot!!