Adding tach to an '83 80hp outboard

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander
I'd like to add a tach to my 1983 80hp outboard. I have a new rectifier (long dumb story:facepalm:), so I know that's working.
From what I've read, I will use one of the lead wires coming from the stator, but the question is the tach.
A friend of mine has a tach I can have, but it has no switch to select pulses. It is a marine tach from his Edson which had v4 Evinrude.
Since my Merc is a 4cyl will it work?

MacDaddy21

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Adding tach to an '83 80hp outboard

We've all had our fair share of rectifier incidents. It happens.

I can't tell you if that tach will work, but you can check this site and it will tell you what setting you need, if you aren't sure. You can get a tach on ebay for around 30 bucks, just make sure it has the proper setting. That would probably be your best bet. Also, if you have the Mercontrol control box, it should have a little rubber plug in the front along the seam where the two halves meet. there are 3 wires there. All you have to do is get the right tach, and connect three wires to the poles on the back of the tach, and then to the proper wires in the control box plug.

here is the site with the info on what setting you need. just scroll to the bottom and you will see the little table.
http://www.mercurymarine.com/servic...intenance/faqs/outboards/?category=electrical

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Adding tach to an '83 80hp outboard

We've all had our fair share of rectifier incidents. It happens.

I can't tell you if that tach will work, but you can check this site and it will tell you what setting you need, if you aren't sure. You can get a tach on ebay for around 30 bucks, just make sure it has the proper setting. That would probably be your best bet. Also, if you have the Mercontrol control box, it should have a little rubber plug in the front along the seam where the two halves meet. there are 3 wires there. All you have to do is get the right tach, and connect three wires to the poles on the back of the tach, and then to the proper wires in the control box plug.

here is the site with the info on what setting you need. just scroll to the bottom and you will see the little table.
http://www.mercurymarine.com/servic...intenance/faqs/outboards/?category=electrical

Thanks for the information. I will have to have a look at the control box when I get home.