Engine Repalcement

Hustler04

Cadet
Hi I am new to the boating world, I have recently acquired a 1988 Dixie Hustler, that i have totally restored the interior, Motor was running but during start up the blocked cracked. I have a 140 HP Mercrusier I/O, i have possibly found another running engine, but i have no idea how to change the engine. This is a project for me and im really enjoying learning as i go. Does anyone know of anywhere that i can find videos (you-tube...etc..) or diagrams that would assit me in this process.

Thanks for any help,

Hustler04

Hustler04

Cadet
Re: Engine Repalcement

Thanks been trying to find the manuals everywhere. Problem has been that all the manuals that i have found have been for the 1992-2006 models and i have a 1988 maodel.

littlebookworm

Chief Petty Officer

Go to www.4shared.com. You'll find manuals for Mercruiser engine and drives as free downloads. Pulling the engine is not that complicated. It's actually easier than pulling a car engine. Put the shift in Forward. Remove the drive: 6 nuts and two rams. Disconnect all the main cables and unplug the harness. Shoot photos and label wires so you know where each goes. Disconnect the fuel and cooling hoses. Disconnect the enhaust flexible hoses. You may remove manifolds if they're in your way. Unscrew the front and rear engine mounts. I like to leave the front mounts attached to the engine and remove the lag bolts holding the mounts to the boat. Attach a lifting chain and hoist and lift away. You'll need an engine alignment tool/shaft when you re-install. It's available in many places and on eBay for about $40. Installation is the reverse. Get the manuals and go to work. Good luck. Hy

Hustler04

Cadet

Thank you so much for that site. Found a great manual for the Alpha 1; However there is no manual for the 140 4 cly 1988 model. the only 4cly manual they had was for the 1978-1982 120. Any ideas????????? Plus like i said earlier I'm a probie to the boating world. I have found it to be very therapeutic and i just love bringing an old unwanted boat back to life. Question is i have been offered an late 80's sea crest 1 owner boat house kept, the seats and carpet have not even faded or cracked, the Alpha 1 drive looks new, no scratches or chipped paint, Motor is a 140 just like mine and runs and has been serviced every year by a boat dealer, she sits on a cox roller trailer.However the transom is rotted. I can get the whole package for $1000.00. Is this a good deal or not.

Hustler04

Cadet

never mind Thanks Don s Found the manual i needed in the sticky. Still would like input from the more experienced readers on the donor boat that i found.