Nav lights in rail base?

8hygro

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Anyone know of bow rail integrated nav lights? Was thinking something either mountable under the forward round rail bases or maybe the bow rail itself. Want to install a davit into the front center and would be nice to keep things clean and unobstructed being there are already cleats etc.

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Nav lights in rail base?

I doubt such a thing exists since the lights need to be visible through a 270 degree arc.

EddiePetty

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I doubt such a thing exists since the lights need to be visible through a 270 degree arc.

..........and, if mounted to the railing ya' gotta figger how to get the wiring inside the tubing or have them exposed!!

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

on the rail the lights would be exposed to being banged around. Don't know how big a boat you have. I've seen lights plenty of times on large boats, especially sailboats and commercial, mounted to a piece of wood and attached to or hung off various rigging. The wood backing prevents the light from shining back against the interior or otherwise interfering w/ your vision.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Go lower. Install them in the front of the bow, in the hull itself. Many boats have this.

Three08

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You can get them but I don't know where, I've seen them used in a mako restoration. I'll PM you a link to the thread and you can ask the guy where he got them. Not sure if I can post the link here as it's on another site.

8hygro

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The design of the shrouded and directed lens would not change. It would simply be integrated into a round base maybe maybe an inch and a half tall with a flat top and bottom. Mounting screw hole location would have to be drilled to mimick existing round bases. I was thinking of maching something myself though I could see that being an issue with the CG.

I have seen the pop-up individual LED's. But then you would accomadate drains. Simple individual's may be the best and have CG approval.

Never seen them in the bow...I will look.

Three08...sounds interesting. Thanks.

04fxdwgi

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have the LED 2 mile combo one seen in the pic of my previous post on my boat and you wouldn't believe how bright that bad boy is....
The individual ones are more cash, of course, but they are less than 1 1/2 inch high and would easily fit under your rail, and be out of the way, I would imagine.

• Case Material: Electro-polished stainless steel
  • Dimensions: 3"L x 2.3"W x 1.3"H
  • Volts: 12V DC
  • Draw: 0.2A (2.4W@12V)
  • Warranty: 10 years

Fed

Commander

What is the 270 degree arc all about?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

that is 135 degrees from front to 45 degrees to the back on each side... adds up to 270 degrees

Fed

Commander

Ah right, our regs are different here 112.5 degrees from front to side.
Your 270 = our 225.

EddiePetty

Lieutenant Junior Grade

that is 135 degrees from front to 45 degrees to the back on each side... adds up to 270 degrees

Check your math, Kevin !!!

And here are the USCG Regulations:

Navigation (Running) Lights

Required on boats between sunset and sunrise. A sailboat under motor only, or under sail and motor, is considered a powerboat, and must display appropriate lights.

BOATS UNDER 12 METERS (39.4')

Sailboats-Separate or combination red and green sidelights, 112.5?, visible 1 n.m. White stern light, 135?, visible 2 n.m. OR, tri-color masthead light.

Powerboats-Separate or combination red and green sidelights, 112.5?, visible 1 n.m., placed above hull at least 1 meter (3.3') below masthead light. Masthead: white, 225?, visible 2 n.m., at least 1 meter above side lights. White stern light, 135?, visible 2 n.m. OR, one all-round (360?) white light (should also have sidelights).

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

my MATH is spot on but I did take the 270 as gospel..... looks like that number may be wrong... either way since none of us are building our own lights the principal is the same.... all we do is buy the uscg approved lights and bolt em on :D