chemical cleaning heat exchanger

rhodesrira

Cadet
I want to chemical clean my engines (5.7L 350cid, 260hp) transmission heat exchanger (HX) which is a single pass copper/bronze. The transmission is a Velvet Drive model AS1-71c. I want to clean both sides of the HX. Do people still use muratic acid or what else that is readily available?....and what is used to neutralize? The baot is new to me and know that it has run hot ...significantly degraded raw water pump. I have replaced the raw water pump and back flushed lines etc...a little concerned that the transmission fluid may have 'varnished' on the tubes and hindering heat transfer etc. I have 'roded' through all the tubes.

Thanks in advance for any feed back

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: chemical cleaning heat exchanger

Yes, you can use muratic acid, but that stuff is Really Dangerous. It's neutralized with water.

Have you considered taking it to your local radiator shop and getting it boiled out?

EddiePetty

Lieutenant Junior Grade

In TOTAL agreement with Don S. !!!! The safest way to go is your local radiator shop.

Last season I cleaned our heat exchanger using H2SO4 instead. Ayway you go....just remember to add acid to water...NEVER water to acid.

As a precaution and a degree of insurance, after cleaning, pressure test your exchanger with air while submerged in a water bath. Do not exceed the pressure cap rating on the coolant side nor more than about 10 pounds on the seawater side.

I could not believe the crud that came out of our cooler. Oh, and one more word: After cleaning be sure to examine all tubes for obstructions. No acid will disolve marine/aquatic bottom debris nor pebbles.

eldplanko

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It's neutralized with water.

I hate to disagree with the wise one, but you can't neutralize acid with only water, this only dillutes it away (which would be sufficient for the inside of the heat exchange).

If you spill it on you, neutralize it with a solution of baking soda and water.

You're better off hot tanking it at a shop than doing this yourself.

rhodesrira

Cadet

Thanks all for the input...needless to say being a stuborn Irishman I cleaned the transmission cooler with Muratic Acid...significantly diluted though. Actually had no problem and seems to have hepled with the engine running cooler. Again thanks for the input cautions.