dry weight of 1999 sun tracker 25 foot and trailer?

bryceboat

Recruit
I'm thinking about towing the boat down to the water and back with our 2001 Subaru Outback with a 2.5 engine, automatic 4.

What is the weight of the suntracker 25 and trailer combined? (edit: it has a Mercury 90 on it)

The hitch is the right size and says 3500 pounds with 350 pound vertical weight.

Thanks for the info.

Also, any way of getting the broken plugs out of the pontoons? We tried to take them out to syphon water out and they broke off on top.

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: dry weight of 1999 sun tracker 25 foot and trailer?

The only way to know for sure is to have it weighed on some truck scales or landfill scales. With normal load and a galvanized trailer, an educated guess would be about 4000 lbs.

IMHO, unless you have a short distance to travel on backroads I would look for other means of getting it there.

Are the plugs plastic or metal? You'll probably need to use an easyout to remove them. If there is enough water in there to syphon, then you have a leak that needs to be addressed.

Good luck and welcome to the forum. Report your solutions.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

My 21 footer with a 90 is a little over 3500, so I'd say eglide is all over it. That's too much for your Subie to handle safely, bryce. I'd strongly encourage you to make other arrangements. Welcome aboard.:cool:

Treker57

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Not unless the water is just around the corner, as other have said make other arrangements, while the weight of the pontoon isn't that bad they create a lot of drag because of their height and bulk. As some have said they tow like a parachute. I tow a 21' Party Barge with a 6.0 Ford Diesel and a Ford Excursion V10 and while they easly handle the PB, I know that I would never think of trying it with my wifes Freestyle

rogerwa

Commander

Agreed with all the above. I tow my 25 footer with my suburban and would not dream of doing it with even a minivan. It is a tail wagging the dog thing.

You have not only weight, but the inclination that if the thing swings, the weight of your car does not have the mass to not be pulled all over. Your brakes are also not sufficient.

I towed a 21 footer with a minivan with a 3.8l v6 and that was always a nailbiter ride.

Mr Crabbs

Petty Officer 1st Class

Down to the water and back makes me thing you live on/near a lake or river. Short distance, low speed, lightly traveled, flat surfaces you should be OK, but pulling it out of the water up a slippery ramp will be another issue altogether. If you are facing traffic, hills or distance I'd forget it.

Mr Crabbs

Petty Officer 1st Class

Rogerwa, did you use a WDH or sway bar when you towed?

rogerwa

Commander

No it woould not need it. My point was more about the size of the boat pushing around the car, not so much about persistent trailer sway.

tiya12

Recruit

As some have said they tow like a parachute. I tow a 21' Party Barge with a 6.0 Ford Diesel and a Ford Excursion V10 and while they easly handle the PB, I know that I would never think of trying it with my wifes Freestyle Short distance, low speed, lightly traveled, flat surfaces you should be OK, but pulling it out of the water up a slippery ramp will be another issue altogether.

kdcoldiron

Recruit

I've got a 2000 model 25' that I tow about 1 mile to the ramp & back only with an '03 Nissan Xterra SE (3.5 200hp 4wd automatic), and I would definilty recommend NOT towing such a boat more than 1 foot with anything smaller than my truck.
Granted my Sun Tracker has the hard top and 3.0 Mercruiser I/O, but on one steep ramp I thought it was about to pull my Xterra into the lake. I had to shift down to 4L to get forward motion going at all, wouldn't do that to my poor truck again.
I'll also mention that my Tracker trailer has the the surge brakes, and without those I might have been pushed right into a few intersections.