Boat trailer winch

supercrewser

Seaman Apprentice
Ok this is gonna come across sounding dumb but what is the second hook on the trailer winch for. Iam assuming its a safety strap but Iam confused to how it would help when its attached to the same strap the main hook is attached to.

boat1010

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Boat trailer winch

I would have to see a picture of what you are talking about.

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If you are talkiung about the chain and hook under your winch, then yes it is a safety chain. In case your winch cable or strap breaks. Of course I always have a strap from the front loop to the trailer as well as 2 straps in the rear, so if anything breaks I have several extras. You wont see my boat sitting on the interstate next to the trailer.

supercrewser

Seaman Apprentice

Its a strap about 12 or 14 inches long with a hook at one end and is attached to the same eyelet the main hook is attached to.I will post a pic tomorrow.

Icyharp

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you are stating that you have 2 hooks on one line then one would have to hook back onto the trailer if you do not have the safety chain one under you winch. I would hope you have one under your winch though, not the best plan to have 2 on the same line.

supercrewser

Seaman Apprentice

0811110651.jpg

This is th epic of the strap. There is a hole just under the winch itself and Im assuming you just hook it up there.

Icyharp

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ya there has to be a spot where you can hook the larger hook too that is on the trailer just in case your smaller hook lets go.

Most of us have a chain bolted on the trailer just under the winch with a hook on it. Not sure I like the set up that you have if that is what it is for.

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

View attachment 107426

This is th epic of the strap. There is a hole just under the winch itself and Im assuming you just hook it up there.

It looks like the larger hook belongs on the boweye, and the smaller one to the winch stand. I can see the thinking here: if the positive latching of the gear of the winch failed (and could free wheel), the small hook would limit how far the boat could move rearward.

Not a bad idea!

Happy boating!

Icyharp

Petty Officer 1st Class

Makes sense to a point but what if the webbing was to fail on the larger hook? What would stop the boat then?

I still feel safer with a seperate chain bolted to the trailer and 2 hooks on the boweye, just my opinion, I am kind of old....lol.

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

Makes sense to a point but what if the webbing was to fail on the larger hook? What would stop the boat then?

I still feel safer with a seperate chain bolted to the trailer and 2 hooks on the boweye, just my opinion, I am kind of old....lol.

If the winch strap attachment failed at the larger hook, the two hooks are still attached to each other by the short length. Those two attachment webbings are never under any normal tension, and should be fine.

I also have the safety chain setup, and I am sure that the OP will probably go that route if he ever needs to replace his winch strap, since he may have a problem duplicating his current strap. But for now, he should use his strap as designed and feel that much safer!

Happy boating!

Icyharp

Petty Officer 1st Class

It's ok I am just confused as well by the whole thing, I was thinking that since the main winch is attached to the larger hook and the web let go the smaller hook has lost all its ability to hang on, but I forgot it would not. I am sure he will change too as time goes on, to be honest I have never seen a set up like that to be honest.

fish hook

Petty Officer 3rd Class

my 04 Q4 has the same hook setup - I scratched my head too. Makes sense that it would protect against a winch gear failure but no protection for a strap failure - I'm going with the separate chain/cable route

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yep, definately looks like a safety against a freewheeling winch. Like others said, I like my completely independant of the winch and webbing chain. No amount of extra safety is too much in my opinion. I have the winch, the chain and 3 tie downs on mine. I watched a guy dragging his Boston Whaler down the road a few weeks ago. The winch let go but the strap did not, so it fell off the trailer but the driver didnt realize he lost it. So he was cruising in the passing lane at about 75mph with his boat dragging down the road, engine about a mile further down the road. WOW that looked like an expensive fishing trip.

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

my 04 Q4 has the same hook setup - I scratched my head too. Makes sense that it would protect against a winch gear failure but no protection for a strap failure - I'm going with the separate chain/cable route

You are protected from the main strap breaking...the short strap is independent and double hooked to the boat and the trailer.

But chains are warm and fuzzy, and I can see adding one as well as using the double strap you already have.

Happy boating!