Taking on Water- No Water in Bilge

mpog923

Cadet
Hello All, New member and I need some help!!

Tonight we (wife and I) took our new to us 1995 Sunbird Spirit 170 on the water for first ride. It has a 90hp Evinrude Outboard.
Good News- Outboard ran great

Bad News- After about an hour on the water, I notice water on the carpet next to the driver's seat running alongside the built in storage rack. It looked like I spilled some water, but not that easy. I ran the bilge and nothing came out. Returned to dock and put it on trailer and pulled the plug, bone dry. I also checked the access hole in the transom, just to make sure. That also was dry. I think that it might be the rub rail, but did not notice any other water running down the carpet.

Basically- water near captain's chair on outside wall, no water in bilge or even storage locker.

Please Help!!

Thanks

BTMCB

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Taking on Water- No Water in Bilge

Might be the speedo tube. I am not familiar with OB set ups but on an I/O there is a tube that runs from the drive to the gauge. Sometimes the tube comes lose from behind the gauge and water flows from the tube onto the floor at the helm. I am NO expert but if you have a speedo you might want to check that. Good luck!

88wellcraft

Petty Officer 1st Class

If the boat hasn't been in the water for awhile it might just be residual rainwater that was sitting in a pool somewhere forward.

was it just a little dribble or a flood?

i would get it all dried out let it sit for a day or two with the bow up at an angle and go from there.

mpog923

Cadet

Thanks for the reply, would the speedo still work if the tube came off. The speedo was working today

mpog923

Cadet

I vacuumed the water out of the carpet, it was more than a dribble but less than a flood, really like I spilled half a bottle of water

Put the bow up, hope its something simple

jeepnsam

Petty Officer 2nd Class

check the seal round the rub rail

southkogs

Staff member

Might think through the trip too. If you took any solid "bumps" out on the water, you may have taken some water through the seal at the rub rail (where the hull and the decks meet). You may also have just taken some water over the gunwale and not noticed. If you can put the boat bow up, and nothing runs out the back at all - it's a good sign. Look for soft spots in the floor just in case.

Any chance you had collected water in the storage rack from a recent rain and it came out on the ride?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

you could very likely have a leak in the speedo hose without it being completely broken

mpog923

Cadet

Thanks for the replies--we sealed the rub rail, looks like it needed it. I was also inspect the speedo today. Will let you know tomorrow when we take it out again to check for water.

auwareagle01

Cadet

How did you seal the rub rail?? I have a spot in mine that i believe is letting some water in on tight left hand turns.

mpog923

Cadet

Well--- we were out 6 hrs today and no water. Thank you for all your replies.

auwareagle01-we used a silicone caulk under the rail and between the fiberglass cant see it unless you look up and underneath. We did around the entire rub rail to be safe.

MAXXIE

Chief Petty Officer

Glad you solved your leak issues. I've been searching for my leak all summer. I too went the rubrail route as mine looked like it needed it, slowed it down a bit, I Think. I'm going for a super calm float test today & hope I get to join you in the dry club:D.