2006 ELPTO 50HP - 35 psi in middle cylinder

oldjeep

Admiral
Dads pontoon had been running like crap and finally refused to stay running so he called out a mech who found 135/35/135 compression. Any common issues in these motors that would cause an extremely low hour motor to lose a cylinder? He didn't want to waste the rest of the summer so he bought a brand new ELPTO 50 that the local dealer was closing out, so the old one will be one of my growing list of winter projects.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2006 ELPTO 50HP - 35 psi in middle cylinder

These motors are bad about getting hot if they are lugged or overpitched. The block will overheat without setting off the alarm and what happens is the sleeves pull back towards crank allowing rings to catch in the empty space at top of cylinder breaking the ring/s. When I repair one of these engines I heat the block to repair/replace damaged sleeve and tap the others to ensure they are bottomed out. When block has cooled I drill and pin them in place so they cant back out again.

oldjeep

Admiral

Thanks, I'll take a look for that. Going over sat to help him swap teh motor and I'll probabally pull the head off the old one just for curiosity sake.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Has no head, you have to split block...

oldjeep

Admiral

Just got around to tearing into the motor and what I found was the center piston was all tore up from dragging the side of the cylinder. The sleeve was still where it should be and did not appear to have moved at all. The rings are basically fused into the piston on one side and there are deep gouges all the way down the side.

I'm probabally going to have to bring the block into the local rebuilder to have a sleeve put in, then I should be able to deal with the rest of it - assuming the parts and labor cost make the repair worthwhile. Figure the whole thing should be worth 2K once it is back in running order.