Towing with Manual trans, better?

Sander

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey lads,

My tow vehicle is RWD Nissan Xterra with 5spd manual transmission. I have recently purchased a 17ft bowrider, and installed a hitch from U-Haul. Have not tried towing it yet, and I have never towed anything before. I figure it would be a little better with the manual trans, right? Any other pointers for a new tow guy? Thanks!

oldjeep

Admiral
Re: Towing with Manual trans, better?

Better than what? Pretty much every 1/2 - 1 ton truck on the road comes with an automatic these days.

Main word of advice is to make sure you don't fry your clutch pulling the boat out.

Sander

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Better than what? Pretty much every 1/2 - 1 ton truck on the road comes with an automatic these days.

Main word of advice is to make sure you don't fry your clutch pulling the boat out.

I meant better than Automatic trans, my fault. I figured there is more control with Manual, opposed to Automatic. Thanks for you input :)

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

You will need tire chocks!!! Most of the pics you see of the truck sunk at the ramp are manual trannies.

oldjeep

Admiral

I meant better than Automatic trans, my fault. I figured there is more control with Manual, opposed to Automatic. Thanks for you input :)

Just make sure you are within your tow rating. A 17ft bowrider can weigh a bunch when you have it all loaded up and an Xterra isn't exactly a truck.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

More often than not, tow ratings are a lot higher with automatics. You need to check the tow ratings for your vehicle.

Redneck_Randy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It's towing capacity is 5000 lbs so he should be ok towing a 17 foot bowrider. My 21 foot Braynt didn't weigh that much so his should a bit less weigh wise.

freddyray21

Commander

had a Mazda pu B4000 which is 4.0 V6 with a manual trans. Towing my Searay SRV180 fine until you went to pull it out of the water. Clutch would smoke. Got rid of the Mazda and got the same truck with an automatic. No problem.

elkhunter338

Master Chief Petty Officer

You can fry an auto too at the boat ramp.
Anyone who has 4wd with low range use low range to pull the boat out at the boat ramp. Also if you have to get out of the truck it will hold better in low range, 1st gear.
I agree most 2wd manual are geared too high in reverse and some in 1st gear for towing, that is why I use low range for backing up a trailer and at the boat ramp, saves the clutch.
One advantage to a manual no computer to give you trouble.

bigdee

Commander

Just depends on good YOU are and how comfortable you feel with the clutch. I have pulled many times with a manual tranny (sometimes way overloaded) and never once did I need wheel chocks. I pulled an 18' bowrider with an S-10 4 cylinder and 5 speed manual tranny for 5 years......You should be fine, the Exterra is a pretty stout vehicle.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

I probably have 200+ boat loadings with my manual transmission car, all with the stock clutch and zero wheel chocks... As far as burning your clutch, it is all in the technique. Slipping the clutch a fair amount at very low rpm is far less destructive than less slip but higher rpm. If you smell burnt garbage, you had too many rpm.

As far as chocks, it isn't the transmissions job to hold the vehicle, that is what the e-brake is for. Far too many people don't have a working e-brake , and if they adjust it, they adjust it wrong and it doesn't help. (you never adjust an e-brake up front, all adjustments should be done on the 'star' clickers on the brakes themselves.) My normal unload procedure is to back in, shut the engine off, full ebrake, and leave it in reverse. The e-brake by itself is more than enough to lock up all 4 wheels of the car, and if it does fail, the transmission in gear is the backup. (which will also hold the vehicle, I've tested it)

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

If you have a 4wd w Low range T/F case and a well working E brake, chocks dont hurt either, you should be able to slightly load the clutch/RPMs as you carefully release the E brake and pull up the ramp. If its slick w algae or bald tires or your near the towing limits for your rig, all bets are off!.... But im no expert:D

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

An automatic transmission has a definite advantage in "starting a load" because of the torque multiplication effect of the torque converter. It will simply get a heavier load moving than a stick. It is also much easier to lug a stick equipped vehicle than an automatic. As for control, you have just as much control with an automatic than you do with a stick. In fact if you look at the numbers, most automatic equipped vehicles these days have the same or in some cases, better fuel economy numbers than their stick equipped counterparts.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Some of you guys need to actually read the OP's post.....HE DOES NOT HAVE 4WD!

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

+1 I wish people would read the OP's posts more carefully. I've certainly been guilty of that fail myself on occaison, but I would like things to stay relevant to the OP and not get sidetracked. It's annoying when comments aren't comparable to the original post. We all want to express our opinions, but I think sometimes the comparisons aren't on topic.
My 02.

bnicov

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just remember, the e-brake only locks up the REAR WHEELS. Not the front as well. As long as a manual transmission is in 1st with the e-brake on, it won't be moving anywhere.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Just remember, the e-brake only locks up the REAR WHEELS. Not the front as well. As long as a manual transmission is in 1st with the e-brake on, it won't be moving anywhere.
I think the point is that with a manual transmission, the e-brake is very important to get up a hill from a dead stop.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

(yep, OP doesn't have 4x4) With a 4x4 though, the ebrake will lock up the front also, as the front are directly tied to the rear when the transfer case is in 4x4.