nida-core or seacast ?

exnavyman123

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I was just wondering what the advantages/disadvantages would be of using each. Is Nida-core the less expensive solution to repairing a rotted transom?

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander
Re: nida-core or seacast ?

They are both similar products....personally I'm not crazy about either one, but many here have used it with success...

If you have transom rot only would be the only time I would even consider it. The problem is that most of time when a trasom is rotten there is other rotten wood to go along with it.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Nida Core is the least expensive. Usually used when removing the transom wood in the conventional way is just to difficult due to mfg design etc... What kind of boat do you have and why are you considering this as your transom option?

exnavyman123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks woodonglass, i have a 1988 winner chameleon with a 115 mariner on it and i saw the rotten transom posts and wanted to inspect mine to try and see if it has rot and in case it does i wanna decide on my best method of replacing the transom.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

This might be of interest to you...
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=290191

You need to drill some core samples in the transom to determine if it has rot.
It appears to me this boat would be fairly simple to do a normal transom replacement on and this would be the best thing to do IMHO!!

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

Is this the Fish & Ski version? 18'? If so, I can give you some tips, if it comes down to replacing the transom.

Take Woody's advice first and let see the extent (if any) of the rot.

CW

exnavyman123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes cadwelder it is the 18' fish and ski version. I don't think the boat saw very much use, i know it was garage kept at least half of it's life, probably doesnt make too much of a difference. Anyway i would love the advise and i was wondering where the how to section covering was exactly on repairing core samples. Someone said something about glass / screen patch or something like that . I was prefering the wood replacement i think, not sure where to get the marine plywood or exactly what you need to wrap the wood with etc. when you go to put the replacement wood back in.

exnavyman123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I did some research and it looks like i'll be buying a transom repair book and buying coosa panels and doing the work myself to save $$ . Cadwelder i would love to get those tips as i did some drilling and it appears there is a little moisture in the transom now not bad and i figured i would do the job now and hopefully the transom will last throughout my lifetime when finished. Do you think the stringers in my 18' WINNER fish and ski are fiberglass? Everywhere i can see is fiberglass, not sure where to check for sure though .....

Thanks in advance.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

woah......hang on here.....

did you do a core sample of the transom?......you said the wood had moisture......how much....what color were the shavings?....when was the last time it was in the water.....

it is common for a person to think the worst....you might be making plans to replace somthing that does not need replacing!

exnavyman123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the shavings were somewhat dark, i had the boat in the water a few weeks ago, all was fine and got the mercury beep beep oil alarm, that turned out to be the sensor in the bottom of the oil tank came loose, bought a new oil tank (one that's mounted on the powerhead)and its sensor, replaced that, replaced the oil warning module as i heard that goes bad often, purged the air from the oil bleed screw and outlet of oil pump hooking up the 50:1 oil/gas mix can, replaced the thermostat, poppet valve and gasket, replaced the temp sending unit , water pump, and little gas filter about a inch long thats behind the oil tank while i was there (bypass gas filter something or other) . Anyway, i wanna get all forethcoming problems resolved so i can enjoy going boating without running into a older boats problems and heard it's just a matter of time before the transom is shot and i dont wanna lose the motor after doing all the work on it is all, is a great motor and i want it to last, as for the boat i imagine if that goes down i assume i can always have it raised and repaired for a lot less $ than the motor.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

does the transom flex when you jiggle the motor on the trailer?
is there any cracks around the splash well or on the back of the boat?

exnavyman123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

does the transom flex, you mean from front of the boat to back? I tried raising the motor parallel to the length of the boat and pushing the top of the motor back towards the back of the boat while my dad watched and pushing the bottom of the motor toward the front of the boat while the boat was hooked to truck with truck in park and parking break on and it moved about a 1/2 a inch.
I didn't see any cracks really at all no.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

lift the motor all the way up using yout tilt.

grab the bottom of the motor.......and lift or jump on the lower part of the drive.

watch for flex in the transom.....a little is ok......if it really moves.....replace the transom....you will know if it moves too much.

if it flexes just a little......dont worry about it right now

exnavyman123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i'll try that in the morning, just so i'm clear, raise the powerhead with the trim all the way up and pull up on the bottom of the motor and watch for it to flex?
As far as the jumping part, you mean use my whole body weight ( only 160 ) just above propeller while the motor is trimmed up and see if the transom flexes ? You sure it can handle that much ? Not that i'm questioning you, i just don't know what it should or shouldn't be able to handle ......

Thanks.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

yup....sit on it.......put your butt on the drive and kinda sit hard on it.

have someone watch the hull for flex.
the boat had better be able to handle 10x that weight on the transom.

imagine .....coming off a 6 foot wave....the whole boat out of the water.....the bow up at 40deg angle..the drive hits the water first.......the pressure from the drive hitting can flex the boat......but it cant really move it too much

exnavyman123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok, i'll try it, not sure i'll ever see 6' waves, i go on lakes only, but ya never know i suppose, i get what your saying i'll check it out further and need more advise i imagine. Appreciate all the knowledge i gain on here, i often think i wish i could help people who helped me on here in areas i may know ..... anyway we'll see how she's lookin .......

island mike

Chief Petty Officer

Ply is the way,nidacore is for other types of constructions,not transoms.it has no core (meat) thats why its also called honeycomb.therefore it has no compressive strenght.No good if youre going to bolt your engine on there..

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Ply is the way,nidacore is for other types of constructions,not transoms.it has no core (meat) thats why its also called honeycomb.therefore it has no compressive strenght.No good if youre going to bolt your engine on there..

I think we have an issue with terminology. Nida core is a honeycombe product and not typically used for transoms. NidaBond IS used for transoms and when done correctly, can yield a transom that has every bit the strength of a wood transom with the added benefit of never rotting. It has some drawbacks in installation and preparation, but overall is a good product for boat transoms and stringers, IF applied properly.

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

Looks like oops has gotcha in the right direction...I'll follow along and chime in if necessary.