Starting motor

bmitch2

Recruit
Just installed new battery, but cannot get the motor to turn over. Gauges work, but the starter does not engage or for that matter even make a noise that it is trying to
engage. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. This is a Mercury Force 120.

bentle

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Starting motor

Solenoid switch bad? Is it in gear when you try to start it? check the circuit breaker and see if it is
tripped.

fucawi

Banned

bridge the solelnoid with a big spanner ....if it goes its the solenoid or its control circuit ..if it dont go its the motor or its ground/live line

kd7isf

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Check the presolenoid (sorry, forgot the proper name for it)... This is a solenoid mounted on the side of the engine. There should be two big wires and a small one. The small one comes from the ignition switch. If it has fallen off (like the one on my friends boat has done several times) you will get nothing from the start position of the ignition switch.....

fucawi

Banned

no such thing as a pre solenoid ...what you describe is the solenoid......4 wires not three ....battery ...starter ....feed for solenoid coil AN A GROUND CONNECTION !!!

Short out the big bolts as instructed for a quick start to your diagnosis

bmitch2

Recruit

no such thing as a pre solenoid ...what you describe is the solenoid......4 wires not three ....battery ...starter ....feed for solenoid coil AN A GROUND CONNECTION !!!

Short out the big bolts as instructed for a quick start to your diagnosis

Thanks guys! I and the owner will be working on it Saturday and greatly appreciate your advice. I will repost when I find what it is.