Trim Problem

Bebert

Recruit
I have a 2001 Chaparral Sunesta 210 with a 5.0 L. Alpha Mercruiser power train. I am experiencing a problem with the trim mechanism. When I try to trim it up or down, all I hear are clicks from the engine compartment. Sometimes after hitting the up or down switch (located on the throttle lever) a few times, it will start working and will work for awhile and then it's back to the clicking the next time I try to trim the outdrive. Can anyone give me any advice on how to troubleshoot the problem?

Re: Trim Problem

Post your question on the Mercruiser section, you'll likely get a better response there. It sounds like the relays are working and that you need to try running the trim motor straight to the battery to see where the problem is. HOWEVER, all my experience is with outboards so...... If you go to the Mercruiser section you'll find someone with more pertinent knowledge.

cr2k

Captain
Re: Trim Problem

First check the output of the relays. When activated they should put out power to the motor. Blue (sky) up, Green (grass) down.
If you have NO output your relays are bad. If you DO have output most likely the trim pump is bad. Common issues with trim pump motors are, rust or corrosion causing brushes to stick and not contact armature. Try slightly tapping the top edge of the motor with a small hammer (don't bash it) to dislodge the brushes. If this works you may be able to pull the motor and clean the brush holders and armature and get more life out of it.