Letting Engines Set Dormant

Erie-S-Cape

Cadet
Do to some financial setbacks & struggles this year I have yet to get my twin 4.3l Searay Amberjack in the water this year. At the end of last year I changed engine oil, outdrive oil, added antifreeze to coolant system & shut down engines with oil thru carbs. I had about 75gals of gas in each tank & I added stabil to each one.
At this point & time I am really thinking of just waiting till next spring, as I will be back to normal with my financial situation. However, I'm concerned about letting the engines go this long without running & then leaving them go even more till spring.
Can anyone give me their thoughts and/or recommendations? It's my baby and I don't want to screw-up anything, let alone, cost more money.

I much appreciate any help,

E-S-E

bnicov

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Letting Engines Set Dormant

The stabil should keep your gas fresh for up to 24 months if I'm not mistaken. Sounds like you fogged each engine and changed all the fluids so it should not be a problem.

cr2k

Captain

We just fired up a boat that had been sitting for 20 years. No problems. Just make sure it is properly winterized and/or stored.

I wouldn't count on the gas being real good but it may with the stabilizer in it.

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

Some people, myself included [ cuz my buddies that run race cars do it] When storing engines,believe in turning the engine over with a breaker bar on the crank shaft pulley nut from time to time. Just turn the engine over enough to cycle the valves. It lets the valve springs that have sat compressed, for the last year in your case, decompress, and shifts the load to rested springs. Moves the pistons and the internals to different resting spots. Is it necessary ? :confused: IDK !!! Sounds good to me ! Is the fuel corn flavored ? No prob storing [ I M H O ] non oxy stabilized fuel for several years.. Ethanol, hmmmmmmmmm.

ErikF

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've been working on a boat that had been sitting for 20 years. I had no issues getting the engine running again, as long as it was properly winterized (sounds like it was) you shouldn't have anything to worry about. Only thing that would give me any worry would be the 2 year old fuel, it should be fine if you're using Stabil though.