63 evinrude 40hp flooding please help!!!

hooktboater

Recruit
My motor will run for 5-10 seconds before flooding itself out(fuel pouring out of hole next to slow speed needle valve on top of carb). If I disconnect fuel line it will eventually start once fuel stops coming out of this hole and run until it is out of gas. If I plug fuel line back in it while it is running it will flood itself out almost immediately. I've taking off the float bowl and replaced the needle seat as well as replacing the slow speed needle valve which was completley flattened down. I'm new to the boating world, my father is getting up there in age and I want nothing more for him but to enjoy fishing on "our" boat. Any advice would be highly appreciated.

Willyclay

Captain
Re: 63 evinrude 40hp flooding please help!!!

Welcome to the forum! The members here are great and the experts, which I am not, should be able to get you and Dad going asap. Sounds like the float itself is sinking and not closing the inlet valve. If your motor still has the original-style cork float, I recommend you replace it with the newer plastic type that holds up better to modern fuels. Good luck!

oldrudedude

Chief Petty Officer

If you have flooding like that, the float needle is not closing. Perhaps the float is is full of gas and not floating. Perhaps the needle is hanging up and not seating. Try tapping on the float bowl with a blunt object to try to jar the needle loose. If that does work you will have to take the bowl off again to determine what is causing it to not close.

hooktboater

Recruit

Thanks for the quick replies! Will take bowl off again in coming days and do a float test. Will keep updated thanks again

hooktboater

Recruit

Float is seating properly, but problem still exists! Any way the fuel pump could be causing this problem? Please help just wanna go fishing!

lindy46

Captain

Float needle can't be seating properly if gas is running out the carb. Take the carb off. With carb upright, blow into gas inlet - air should flow freely. Turn carb upside down and repeat - no air should pass. If it passes this test, needle is ok and float is suspect. Replace the float and see if it still leaks. If it's the original float, it's time to change it anyway.

mstahl1171

Petty Officer 1st Class

without a doubt....its the float. do yourself a favor and get a plastic one