140 evinrude question

bhoff86

Seaman
So I have been hearing I should disconnect my vro and switch my fuel pump and pr-mix my gas? Before the vro decides to stop working.

crestlinermusky

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 140 evinrude question

The VRO system works well in the larger outboards where there is a lot of vacuum pressure.
The problem I had when I had my 50 HP was I would use the motor in the early spring and late fall.
Hence going out in the cold the oil was like molasses and the oil pump could not pump it to the motor.
The system lasted two years and the diaphram went on the pump. The two and three cylinder motors
didn't work well with the VRO system.
If you do decide to switch to a normal fuel pump that is 50:1 , you don't have to worry about the system failing you.

bhoff86

Seaman

Oh ok gotcha well this will be my fishing boat do it's gonna be out in the cold some what. I think when I have the carb kits done and the lower unit I will have the vro switched out as well I can always put it back on later I suppose

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

What year motor do you have? The later (mid 90s or so) Oil Injection Systems were very good. They had good OMS pumps and good warning sensors. These systems will reliably warn you if something goes wrong.

If you have one of those newer systems, I would recommend that you make sure the sensors are working and carry enough 2 cycle oil to mix 50::1, should the OMS pump fail during a fishing trip. It may never happen.....

bhoff86

Seaman

Its an 84 model evinrude. So I think they were somewhat faulty.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

If the pump was changed to VRO 2, which was a no charge upgrade in 1986, you should be fine. There were some changes to the pump, the pulse limiter was changed and improved alarming was added.