5hp Nissan Died

Banoe

Seaman
I have a 1999 5hp Nissan 4stroke. It was running at full throttle then died. I restarted it and it ran good all day. Next day it started and after a short time it died again this time it did not want to go faster than 1/2 throttle. I could restart it then it would die when you speed ed it up. I drained the carb and gas lines and checked for a possible fuel leak. I started it cold on the third day and it ran up to full speed for about 5mins and died again. This time it will only give me a three second run after it sits for about 10 minutes. It pumps water good so I don't think it is overheating. Priming the carb with fuel has no effect on starting. The spark looked weak but I was checking it in full sunlight. Could this be a oil level sender, bad coil, CDI box problem?

pvanv

Admiral
Re: 5hp Nissan Died

You probably have an NSF5A; year doesn't enter into the equation. Your issue could be a lot of things, but is likely a fuel issue. When it stalls, pull and inspect the spark plug. If dry, no gas; if wet, no spark. Possibly an intermittently stuck float that isn't allowing the carb to refill fast enough, or a carb that needs to be cleaned. Also could be a plugged fuel filter, etc.

Banoe

Seaman

I finally got to look at this motor today. Primed it with gas no luck. Pulled plug it is wet. It has a weak spark not snapping blue like it should be tried a new plug no change checked plug wire and all connections all seem good. I am thinking it has a bad coil and spark is breaking down under compression. Does some one here have the resistance readings for the coil so I can test it?

pvanv

Admiral

There's more to the ignition system than just the coil. Full ohmmeter numbers are in the Factory service manual, available from any dealer, including me. You must use a good analog ohmmeter, not a digital unit.