Stiff Rack & Pinion cable, anyone ever tried opening the cable ?

ram750

Cadet
Hi guys ,

I have a problem with this boat I am trying to restore. I have a Rack and pinion and the steering is mighty stiff , terrible on the water.

I have taken the rack off the pinion only to find that inside the "bar" the grease his after 20 years turned to mud. I have tried lubricants buts its just not enough.. I was wondering if anyone ever popped the rivets and tried to get inside to clean and maybe even possibly remove the cable for lubrification ?

Anyone ?

Thanks

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Stiff Rack & Pinion cable, anyone ever tried opening the cable ?

These cables are a wear item. An entire new system can be had for around $120. Yours is due to be replaced. It is more likely that the binding is in the cable than in the rack.

ram750

Cadet

I figured out the part about replacing it.... But I wanted to know if anyone has gone past that and try to fix it... I like to sometimes spend a couple extra minutes and save a couple dollars by sometime trying to fix stuff just was hoping to see if anyone ever did it.

TyeeMan

Master Chief Petty Officer

I had a boat with a problem like that. I took the "rod" part off the motor, hung it vertically and dropped oil down it, I drilled through the outer sheath and tried to introduce oil into it, , all with very limited success. Bought a new cable and holy cats was that nice!! The only way you'll free it up enough is to somehow introduce grease or oil to the inner part of the cable under pressure. Good luck with all that.

southkogs

Staff member

Don't know exactly what type of system you have, but with most of them if you open 'em up you compromise them. Those sheaths are typically controlling the pressure of the cables along with other things. Steering is something you don't want to have let go at an inopportune moment - ie. high speed evasion maneuver. Best advice was and is - "getcha' a new one."

Fed

Commander

If you want to save some money find out where the stiffness is first.
The rack & pinion would be my last choice, try motor swivel pin, tilt tube then the cable itself.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

The end of the cable near the motor has a sheath over the inner cable. I once cut it off to try to lube the inner cable. The lubrication did help, but the cable broke at that point, just as I was about to hit the throttle on my speedboat. I had to have the GF work the throttle, and I wrestled the motor cowling at idle speed to make it back to the dock, which wasn't far...A new cable fixed it.

I don't recommend my method...