Solo Boating Worries.

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I yet have to try boating alone. Sometimes I just want to get away from it all for a few hours in the open water.
I love my Family to death when they go boating with me but I want to experience solo boating and see what its all about.

Several things that worry me.

Launching and retrieving alone. Doesn't sound all that hard. I will miss my wife handling the Boat though.
Keeping my Boat at the Dock when I go get the Trailer. I fear someone is going to mess with my boat while I go get the trailer.
Should I be concerned someone might untie my Boat?
Taking up additional time at the ramp because I'm by myself.

My wifes biggest worry. I might fall out of the Boat or hurt myself by myself. I will wear a PDF while boating alone.

I have all this Anxiety. Should I even considering boat alone. If I do go out alone I will finally get out there early enough to experience a sunrise at the lake.
I might even catch some fish and not have my impatient wife and Kids along with me. Oh yes Swimming suit will be optional. Sweet.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Re: Solo Boating Worries.

There are times when the wife is busy, and I'm not. I won't stay home if the winds are fair, the water is calm and the fish are biting.

I have an all roller trailer and I only use the best ramps. Launching and retreiving takes only a minute. I have yet to see vandals at the ramp, so i don't worry.

In the boat I always wear a PFD, use the engine lanyard cord and take my cellphone along.

Sometimes the solitude is just what I need!

foodfisher

Captain

I'll bet you had worries when you launched the first time w/family too. Did it anyway. Go solo and decide if alone is for you. Bet you like it.

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Oh and Cell Phone doesn't work at the Lake. Another Concern.

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

Cell phone not working at the lake is a plus in my book! :D

Just do it. Don't worry about the extra time it takes to launch and retrieve, that's the nature of it.

As far as folks stealing your stuff, if everything is locked away in glovebox/compartments, hidden under the seats, rods stowed under gunwales, hand-carry your electronics, don't leave the keys in it, etc.--basically, nothing too easily seen and quickly grabbed--that's the best you can do to protect yourself. And don't take a potty break while the boat's tied up at the dock, go before you leave home. :p

haley

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just file a float plan with her. If you expect to be back by 6am be back or contact her. I usually pad it an hour so you can take your time. That might make both of you feel better. Sticking to a body of water you are familiar with is a plus as well.

rivermouse

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Its good to be cautious because most accidents occur at the boat landing. I go by myself most of the time and the thing I found important is to have a regular routine . Do not hurry. Pick a landing on a day when the ramps aren't real busy. I sometimes with the use of a long line pull the boat to the side so I wont block the ramp when I park the truck. Then I just pull it back to a position where I can safely get in. Dont fear a break down because most other boaters will stop and offer a tow back to the landing. Perhaps a small red flag to wave them over just in case would be a good idea too. Just go slow and enjoy it. I find a nice long boat ride by myself very relaxing as you will.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

It's a piece of cake after you've done it a couple of times.

Don't worry about taking the extra time, a lot of people launch solo and the ones waiting understand that you're by yourself. If I see someone behind me at that looks impatient at the prelaunch area I'll tell them to go ahead because I'm alone. They usually cheer right up and are gracious.

I've never had anyone mess with my boat or take anything out of it. Be nice and you won't have any problems.

I've never fallen out of my boat while boating alone. I think you're subconsciously more careful when boating alone.

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thank you for all the replies.

A float plan is a must have and thanks for the suggestion. I think alot of this is my nervousness.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

You (and your wife) don't worry about your driving alone, do you? Don't make a big deal about it and get both of you all wound up over nothing.

You have two concerns: the ramp and out on the lake (when actually you are in greater danger just driving there).
No one is going to mess with your stuff or untie your boat unless you have done something to make them mad, or you are in an urban setting with non-boating "utes" hanging about.
Almost anyone at the ramp will give you a hand if you ask. Reciprocate.
Next time you and wifey go to the ramp, practice as if she isn't there and see how you do (avoid a crowded time--maybe 5 am?)

Out on the lake, unless you have pirates and whirlpools, nothing to worry about. Take a flashlight and sound device. Carry the cell phone in a water-tight carrier--you can buy them for $15 from a boat store, or in a box of 50 for $2 at the grocery store. Relax and enjoy the solitude and freedom--there is a great psychologic release when you pull away from shore.

And consider this--if you do break down, you are probably better off alone than with a "nervous" family in tow.

Now, there are other times and places where solo boating requires a great deal of care, and I am not making light of being prepared for those situations, where literally your life depends on it. I enjoy solo boating (almost 40 years) both in non-risk recreational situations like yours, and highly dangerous conditions. We can talk about those another time.

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Never thought of praticing boating alone with my wife. I do everything and she sits on the dock. Thanks for the Ideal HomeC.

BTMCB

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I go solo quite often. Launching and retrieving solo has become second nature. Same routine each time and is pretty easy after a while. I am often quicker than others (weekend warrior types) that have helpers. Was I nervous the first time? Sure. But I was confident in my plan and ability.

The other advice given above is all great and spot on.

Make sure to use the safety lanyard, have fun and report back!!

5150abf

Vice Admiral

AS Nike says JUST DO IT!

You will undoubtedly screw up a few things, big deal, and yes the first time solo is a little scary but if you don't do it you will never get used to it.

I go solo all the time and at night, being on the water by yourself is worth it, you can tuern your phone off and claim you didn't have a tower.

I can't imagine anyone untieing your boat, in 20 some years I have never even heard of such a thing, as others have said wear your lanyard and you will be fine, DO IT!

topher166

Cadet

love boating myself best way to get some peace and quite away from the wife.. and kids.. but really the wife...

americaneagler77

Petty Officer 1st Class

solo boating is where its at! piece of cake! EVEN when i have friends around i still launch and take out solo, its easier, very relaxing

sw33ttooth

Chief Petty Officer

i typically boat alone and when i come back to the docks i leave the engine running while i go get the truck and trailer. i figure i have the title at home if some one really wants to steel it i doubt they can go far since i have the trailer. also i'd say more often then not poeple at the ramps want to either get out or get home and there to busy to look into your boat for anything. now if your leaving it at a dock by its self for a few hours thats differnt, theres i state park i keep my boat at some times and poeple will steel batteries and poles so keep it back at camp. as for launching by yourself takes maybe 1 minuite longer because you have to get out and tie the boat up not your wife, but thats it.

depending on your boat and expected speed i wouldnt worry about a pfd, just me. i useually cruise at 30-35 and i cant possibly fall off my boat(23 foot cuddy cabin) so i dont worry. then again if you have a smaller bass boat it would be quite wise to use one in rough water/high speeds. i always bring my cell and most the time i have service, who are you going to call if you get stranded? below is just my imagination of your phone call.

911: is this an emergency?
you: umm, yes i fell off my boat in the middle of lake michigan can you send a taxi.
911: well can you tell me your last known coordinates?
you: no, its getting cold can you hurry.
911: let me transfer you to my boss.
you: ... ... ... ...

thats just how i would imagine a call if something happened, better off with a ship to shore radio then if something happens you can call coast guard. a cell phone is just about as worthless on a boat as sword in a gun fight. chances are you will have a problem eventually its how you deal with it and if you were prepared.
doesnt matter if your alone or with a group of poeple you cant just get out of the boat and walk home.<----key advice

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Look at the boat in my avatar...I go alone quite a bit. The prior boat was a 21' CC fisherman. Alone in the ocean 90% of the time as my job allowed the day time off while everyone was at work. 20+ miles out in the ocean with only a VHF and CD player to keep me company. Granted, it started out as running the river solo, but it doesn't take long to get comfortable in your skills.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Get a grip David!!!!

Go out and do what you want. Don't be so pessimistic. Dooms day is not here YET!!!!!!

Mark

Lakemeadan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You might start liking it too much. Just about everything is covered. Anchor the boat if you like standing on the edge otherwise the boat will float away like a sail. Get a 2-way radio. Too many drowned fisherman are found with their zippers down and boat floating around. Use a bucket, tie a line on to yourself if you like jumping around when trolling. You will be alright because you are already thinking. I just take the boat key when I park the trailor. I get help with the lines much of time when someone in hanging out on the launch dock. I even ask them if they could pull it down aways to clear the ramp. People usually like helping.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

There certainly nothing wrong with boating by yourself as long as you understand the risk associated with boating alone.

The number one killer is falling out of the boat. Locally, they find one or two empty boats a year around here. If you where smart enough to have your kill switch hooked up so the boat didn?t just keep going you still have to get back in the boat. You would be surprised how hard it is to climb back into a boat fully clothed. Suggest you practice getting back into the boat as part of your solo preparations.

You should also file a float plan with someone. I never leave the dock w/o someone knowing where I'm going and when I expect to return.