Shift Cables woes.. am I doing it wrong or need to replace it?

jmorgan87

Seaman
I've tried to follow the few guides I found online for adjusting shift cable, but they aren't the clearest and I think one even said 'find someone who has done it, otherwise it's nearly impossible' heh..

Out of the water, I can adjust that barrel back and forth until I get lock one way/click other in forward and reverse, and free spin in neutral. Running out of water, I can tell the forward is 'hesitant' to go in, you bump it you hear spinning, then the Clunk where it locks in. Reverse instantly 'clunks' and engages. I expected to have issues with forward in the water based on this testing with muffs, since I figured this problem would just be compounded once under a load.

..and it was. I tried adjusting the barrel some in the water, and got to where it would somewhat consistently go into gear although slow. You'd move throttle forward, and it engage eventually. Sometimes not, try again and it would get in...reverse always instantly locks in.

Also, not sure if this is related but if I move the throttle all the way forward the engine cuts out then comes back. I assume my interrupter is getting engaged briefly.

Overall, the action of the throttle lever feels stiff.

The barrel is nearly all the way to the 'left' or captain's side of the engine. (Not sure best way to reference engine sides, used to cars..)

So..do these symptoms sound like an idiot who can't adjust it properly or a boat needing a new cable? I don't mind replacing the cable(assuming it's not above my abilities?..haven't researched 'how' yet), but I'd hate to buy a new cable and end up still being the idiot who can't properly adjust it.