Charging Rectifier/regulator issues

ben jones

Cadet
I have run into an apparently common problem. My voltage regulator went out on my 1981 75 hp chrysler. The replacement is a small black square with four prongs and a hole in the middle to mount it. Now that ive put this on I also put on a volt meter by the way. I get 14 to 17 volts!!! This part is recomended by this web site!! through my own investigation ive found this is a rectifier not a regulator/rectifier. What I need is something to change ac to dc current (rectifier) and something to regulate how much voltage the stator puts out (voltage regulator). The little black box only perfporms one of the functions. it makes it dc current so powerful my battery is going to explode. I will be writing Iboats about this. Just so everyone knows. DO NOT BUY THE LITTLE BLACK RECTIFIER. ITS JUNK. I found a universal regulator/rectifier for 55.00 on another website. Its for a snowmobile. I found other people had this same problem. Their telling
people to put a part on your boat that will make your battery explode!!! NOT COOL

jason32038

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Charging Rectifier/regulator issues

You must have the wrong battery.

bentle

Chief Petty Officer

Make sure that you have a good ground on that.there should be five wires that connect to that.one is battery red hooks to the positive symbol on rect. Ground is black and goes to the
negative side. Now there should be two other wires coming from the stater they will connect
to the AC letters on your rect. If you have a tach then there will be one wire that also connects
to AC on the rect.I believe that the wires coming from the stater can be connected on either
side as long as it's the AC connections on the rect. Not sure if this is what you were looking
for but I do hope it helps.

mikes 86

Seaman Apprentice

i have the same problem with my 125,4cyl READ THE STICKY AT TOP OF THIS PAGE REALY HELPS.

fucawi

Banned

you dont say if the voltage you are quoting is open circuit or the battery voltage ..certainly 17v is too high ..you should not go over 15.3 and preferably stay at 14.4 ....

ben jones

Cadet

you dont say if the voltage you are quoting is open circuit or the battery voltage ..certainly 17v is too high ..you should not go over 15.3 and preferably stay at 14.4 ....

the voltage is what is displayed on the volt meter. the battery voltage is slightly lower but the displayed voltage is what is being thrown at the battery. even with a maintainence free battery people were having them boil over in the box.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Quitcherbitchin. That part and the one you replaced are simply rectifiers and the alternator is an un-regulated charging system that runs at about 14-17 volts. It delivers so little amps that:

1. Your battery will not "explode." It will, at that voltage, outgass hydrogen so if you smoke or have a spark near it, the gas may ignite and explode. This, incidentally is why when jump starting autos, the last connection you make is the negative and it is to an engine ground, not the battery terminal

2. The battery will not "boil over" unless the water level was too high to begin.

I think you have heard too many anecdotal horror stories. I had a friend, who had a friend, who---

Yes, there are other regulator/rectifiers out there, but my square rectifiers have been in use for years and all I do is occasionally check battery water level.

Karla45

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would trust what Frank says he has 100 times more knowledge about boat motors than most mechanics and he seems to be able to solve motor problems that no one else can. He has saved me lots of money, so for me all bets are on him!!!

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I have run into an apparently common problem. My voltage regulator went out on my 1981 75 hp chrysler. The replacement is a small black square with four prongs and a hole in the middle to mount it. Now that ive put this on I also put on a volt meter by the way. I get 14 to 17 volts!!! This part is recomended by this web site!! through my own investigation ive found this is a rectifier not a regulator/rectifier. What I need is something to change ac to dc current (rectifier) and something to regulate how much voltage the stator puts out (voltage regulator). The little black box only perfporms one of the functions. it makes it dc current so powerful my battery is going to explode. I will be writing Iboats about this. Just so everyone knows. DO NOT BUY THE LITTLE BLACK RECTIFIER. ITS JUNK. I found a universal regulator/rectifier for 55.00 on another website. Its for a snowmobile. I found other people had this same problem. Their telling
people to put a part on your boat that will make your battery explode!!! NOT COOL. even with a maintainence free battery people were having them boil over in the box. /QUOTE]

What investigation? You mean you read the word "rectifier".

Did you read the product description at all?

It clearly states "NOTE: DO NOT USE A MAINTENANCE FREE BATTERY WITH THESE RECTIFIERS AS OVER-CHARGING WILL RESULT"

I don't see the word "regulator" associated with that part.

You could always go buy the original OEM part, part number F404470-1 , only $701.98.