1995 merc 135 hard starting especially after warm up..?

GITDNET

Cadet
I have a 135 merc. that I can't figure out!..the problem is.....when I run the motor on the hose, it starts great and runs good. It idles a little rough, but I had a mechanic look at it he said the compression was good, timing was set, and it ran a little rich, but adjustment was made and it doesn't smoke half as bad...BUT...when I get it in the water at the lake, its hard to start and after it does, it runs great, up until I shut it down. When I try to restart it, it acts like its not getting enough fuel, but the bulb is full. I have to choke it several times, and keep it in neutral accelerated to get it going. So far I have rebuilt the carbs, fuel pump, replaced the fuel filter and primer bulb. Could the water pump be a factor, or does this sound like a electrical issue? I'm at a total loss!....oh and I always put premium fuel in it...any help would be great! Thanks..

j_martin

Admiral
Re: 1995 merc 135 hard starting especially after warm up..?

Difference is back pressure on the exhaust. Exhaust relief's plugged up?

You say it used to smoke a lot. Maybe it's time to de-carbon. Procedure in the FAQ section.

On the idle. Check the bleed line routing, condition, and the bleed check valves. It's in the book.

If you have good compression, carbs are clean, no intake leaks, runs good, idles crappy, and bleed lines are good. Time to dive into the reeds.