Sea King 5 won't close up after impeller repair

I think the drive shaft isn't mating up to whatever fitting exists up under the motor, so the lower unit won't slide up tight to the outer housing. Can you say what sort of connection is made up there? Does the drive shaft slide into some keyed opening? I can't see in there and I can't tell by the feel of the lower unit hitting metal up under the motor. pretty frustrating,<br /><br />thanks!<br /><br />chuck

Duckboater

Cadet
Re: Sea King 5 won't close up after impeller repair

On most motors you have to line up three things when re-installing the lower unit: The drive shaft, the water line, and the shift linkage. If these are all in order and it still won't go, try turning the prop (most manuals have you put it in forward to re-install) or have a helper slowly turn the motor while you guide it in. Most drive shafts are splined and they can be a little tricky to line up. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the poop. I get the water pipe aligned ok, and the shift shaft is continuous. It's the dang driveshaft that seems to not align. It seems like a male/female sort of connetion I'll try rotating the driveshaft to make it slip in. Thanks a bunch!!

thanks to duckboater and sailboaty!<br /><br />I had removed the gears etc from the lower unit to relieve binding on the shift shaft. when I reinstalled the gears, case and prop I could rotate the shaft and it dropped right in place. the impeller was aok, but the water intake was plugged. put in new gear oil, closed it all up, jerked the rope around 8 times, started right up. now it takes 2 pulls max to start and run. thanks a million.<br />now if the lake (travis - austin tx) will just go down a little so boating is allowed again...tall cotton time.<br /><br />chuck