Mercruiser 140 engine swap out

tgp***

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I have a 1972 Mercruiser 140. Need to replace it, looking to go used. Where do I look for information on what year engines I can just bolt up to my stern drive? I found information saying the flywheel changes in the 80's and 90's. Are the flywheels interchangable so that I can use just about any year engine?? New to I/O's, always had OB's.

Thanks in advance.

tgp***

Re: Mercruiser 140 engine swap out

Do I have this question in the right forum??

I have a 1972 Mercruiser 140. Need to replace it, looking to go used. Where do I look for information on what year engines I can just bolt up to my stern drive? I found information saying the flywheel changes in the 80's and 90's. Are the flywheels interchangable so that I can use just about any year engine?? New to I/O's, always had OB's.

Thanks in advance.

starcrafter65

Chief Petty Officer

TGP

They changed the mating in 1983 - so you will have to find a pre 1983 to go with that OD - or do what North Beach did - you can mate a post 83 engine to an old MC pre Alpha drive but you need some parts to be switched out. I looked at that and just found an Alpha One...which I love.

Check out NB"s Liquid Limo thread.

tgp***

Thanks starcrafter65 ! , I'll start looking for a doner, and hopefuly find one for the right price.

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade

140's are hard to find, at least in my area. The 120's are a dime a dozen......

tgp***

120 is an option, it should be a straight bolt-up I would think. I see a lot of 165 6 cyclinders right now, the a couple possible doner boats w/ 140's out there. I just need to find a decent motor at a good price. I'm sure I'll find something. I'm not in a hurry, so that helps.

kd7isf

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The flywheel size and the engine coupler changed. There are flywheels and engine couplers that will make the connection between the new motor and the old drive out there.
Most places selling new marine engines will sell you the parts you need to adapt to your older drive. Some will even sell the motor as a kit in which case it will come with the parts needed to bolt right to your drive instead of the standard ones....
Just google replacement marine 3.0

Hope this helps...