Water in Cyclinders - 5.7 Volvo Penta GS

aaron013

Cadet
Ok, here goes... I bought this boat used... ran great when I got it... we spent 5 hours on it before i bought it from a guy that I know...

1998 Caravelle interceptor
5.7GS Volvo Penta motor
350hrs

I have been out on it a couple of times ran great when I had it out... One day when I came back the motor would not start, acted like the starter went out, you know the noise makes when that happens, so no biggie replaced the starter... whell that was not it...

It turns out that I got water in the cyclinders, from everything that I have read I could have just hydrolocked it when going full speed to almost a dead stop... So, i empty out the water out of the cyclinders, check the oil ( it looks like oil and is not milky as if water would have mixed with it) put all new plugs in, oil, filter... started it up on the pig ears and took it out for a spin... ran great no problems...

well i get back tot he dock and turn it off and back the jeep down and go to start it and "tank" that same unsettleinig noise again... UGH!!! yep same thing... so, i do some more research and talk to a couple of people about it and decide well since it was in salt water before I got it, i shoudl replace the riseres and manifolds cause i know they can leak into the motor also...

so i replace the risers and minifolds, and even for procaution i put on flappers over the exhaust coming out just so water can not run back up into the echaust.... do everything again, check the oil, its still oil, not milky, so i change it , filter and the boat starts up and runs great I take it out and after running it for about an hour i come back in and the same damn thing happens again...

ok, so this is where I am, I only really have 2 options left:

1. since the oil and water are not mixing it is telling me that the water is gettting in the top part of the motor and not the bottom end and mixing with the oil.

2. This leaves me to think of the following things that it could be...

2A. I have a cracked intake manifold.

2B. I have a leaking head gasket : dont think that it is this cause the motor would run rough- the temp never moves off 150

2C. I have a cracked block somewhre on the inside that is only leaking into the top part of the motor...

Any suggestion on what I am thinking would be more than helpful before I start tearing the motor apart this weekend.... I cant really think of anything else that would cause it... Water in the gas tank, would not have gallons in it since every cyclinder is full, the boat would jsut not run at all....

thanks again for all the help...

AT:facepalm:

nimrod69

Seaman
Re: Water in Cyclinders - 5.7 Volvo Penta GS

What brand manifolds/risers did you use?. If they are GLM, that's your problem.

aaron013

Cadet

what are GLM risers... I put OEM replacement risers on it...

I really cant believe that the risers let that much water back in through the exhaust? I have even installed flappers so this would not happen...

aaron013

Cadet

I do not beleive they are GLM risers.... I did not buy them from GLM I purchased them from doug russell marine...

nimrod69

Seaman

Whats the brand name stamped on the side of the risers?

nimrod69

Seaman

Those say pre 1993, I thought yours was a 1998?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

They certainly aren't OEM. OEM are way more money than that. On a side note, I believe in using OEM riser/manifolds only.

What did you use for riser/manifold gaskets? My suggestion is pull the risers, check for flatness, make sure there is no paint on the mating surfaces and put OEM gaskets on there.

aaron013

Cadet

They certainly aren't OEM. OEM are way more money than that. On a side note, I believe in using OEM riser/manifolds only.

What did you use for riser/manifold gaskets? My suggestion is pull the risers, check for flatness, make sure there is no paint on the mating surfaces and put OEM gaskets on there.

I put brand new risers and manifolds on. I used the silver gaskets that came with the risers when they sent them....

Does anyone think it could be an internal crack in the block...???

Thanks for all the responses... Its great not to bang my head againts the table for anymore ideas...

aaron013

Cadet

I put brand new risers and manifolds on. I used the silver gaskets that came with the risers when they sent them....

Does anyone think it could be an internal crack in the block...???

Thanks for all the responses... Its great not to bang my head againts the table for anymore ideas...

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I used the silver gaskets that came with the risers when they sent them....
Don't use the gaskets that came with them. Buy some OEM ones. The gaskets that come with those aftermarket manifolds are crap!

Were the mating surfaces of the riser/manifold painted or bare metal. They need to be bare metal? Also, some of those aftermarket manifolds are not very flat. Should measure with a straight edge. Also, what torque did you tighten the risers bolts to?

If you want to know if you have a cracked block/manifold/head or not, you can pressurize to test that.

0352Marine

Seaman Apprentice

I would almost bet it's the riser gaskets leaking water into the exhuast side. I talked with a local dealer here because I had a simliar problem. He said that Volvo had replaced it's orginal riser gasket made from a blue gasket material to a thin metal gasket. I noticed this when I purchased them and asked him why they were different and he said that alot of boat owners were having problems with this type of gasket and they were also getting ripped off by dishonest dealers who would tell them they have a blown head gasket and would charge them to replace the head gaskets and then at the shop they would replace the riser gaskets and the customer would not know otherwise.

I replaced mine with the thin metal gasket from Volvo and have not had a problem since with water getting into the cylinders. Just make sure you get all the old gasket material off. I think the total cost was like $30.