Best way to strip old paint of a Gen 1 Alpha 1

scooby333

Cadet
Ok since the drive gears took a crap on my out drive its time to refurbish the outdrive. What is the best way to strip off all the old coatings and paint on the outdrive?. Previous owner had the boat in salt water so just from looking at the drive there is probably more than just factory paint on it. They might have used a por 15 or some other type of coating on the oudrive to help protect it.

I've tried a wire wheel brush on a drill and it's barely scratching the surface of the coating. What are thoughts on having it blasted? Someone recommened not having it blasted just for the caution of not getting the out drive cleaned well enough and still have some material laying inside the unit and potentialy damaging the unit once it's together.

Some day I'll get this boat back in the water.......:confused:

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral
Re: Best way to strip old paint of a Gen 1 Alpha 1

Soda/sand blasting is the only way for the Initial removal of whatever is on there ..

Yes you have to Plug the holes that are directed from your Installer to not get the blasting in there .. but there are some good blasters out there that Know where Not to blast into.

YD.