9.9 on a 12 ft v bottom ride help

awulber

Recruit
i just put this motor on my boat and when i get up to plane it bounces me everywhere with a back and forth rocking motion, and the motor throws water in my boat to when its planed, is there anything i can do to help with that thanks aaron

kfa4303

Banned
Re: 9.9 on a 12 ft v bottom ride help

hi awulber. Sounds like your porpoising. You may need to add some weight to the bow of the boat. A cylinder block or two should help even out the weight distribution. You might also want to try adjusting the tilt of the motor.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Any chance you've got a long shaft motor on a short transom?

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Engine is too low in the water. There is a plate on the front of OB's that is about 1" or so above the anti vent plate which is there to keep the spray from the front of the lower unit from getting into the boat. It has to be out of the water when running to do any good.

On the other, as said, put some weight up front, or forward of where you have it now. Engine tilted in more than you have it (tilt pin adjustment) will help also. I ran a 10' Lake John with a 7.5 Merc and put my cooler and fuel tank in front of me to stop it with the tilt pin all the way in....hole closest to the transom.

Mark

EddiePetty

Lieutenant Junior Grade

".... it bounces me everywhere with a back and forth rocking motion"

If that back 'n forth is fore-to-aft, the engine is probably trimmed too high.

If the motion is side-to-side, you're chime walking!! SLOW DOWN