water bellow

DaveLeonard

Cadet
I have to replace the water bellow on a Merc 3.0. It's the ribbed rubber hose fron the prop section to the engine to carry the water for cooling. If I raise the prop so my hand will fit in there, I can't streach the pipe long enough to fit. If I lower the prop, my hand won't fit. Anyone know a trick for this???:?

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander
Re: water bellow

I have to replace the water bellow on a Merc 3.0. It's the ribbed rubber hose fron the prop section to the engine to carry the water for cooling. If I raise the prop so my hand will fit in there, I can't streach the pipe long enough to fit. If I lower the prop, my hand won't fit. Anyone know a trick for this???:?

If you are asking about the lower exhaust bellows, then this is normally installed with the drive removed.

To do this without removing the outdrive, you would need to go to the exhaust tube style that is only clamped at the transom end.

Happy boating!

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander
Re: water bellow

Im thnkn your a little confused... 3 bellows, none are water bellows . The top biggest one is the u-joint bellow, keeps u-joints and gimble bearing dry and prevents boat from sinking. Under that is the exhaust bellow. Engine cooling water and exhaust are discharged from the engine thru this. Im thinkn this is what u r referring to when u speak of water bellows, as it does have water in it. Its the only bellow that should. The small one next to the exhaust bellow is the shift cable bellow, keeps water out of the boat as well. The water supply hose that supplies cooling water from the drive to the engine is kinda tucked up in the drive , its probably a 3/4 or 5/8 in black hose, it goes to a connector on the transom... Plz elaborate a little more..