Bravo steering play

2ifbyc

Seaman
Ok, so I noticed all season that I had what seemed to be loose or sloppy steering. The other day I had the boat on the beach with the drive lifted up and I noticed the drive swinging back and forth about 3-4 inches or so while the steering wheel wasn't moving. I just had a brand new bravo 3 drive installed last season. I called my mechanic and he says "you need a new transom assembly". This of course without him even seeing it. Is this accurate? Should I check anything else? I don't have a trailer and the boat is in the water. He also said it's about 3000 bucks with parts and labor. Any help is appreciated. Thanks guys...

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Bravo steering play

Ok, so I noticed all season that I had what seemed to be loose or sloppy steering. The other day I had the boat on the beach with the drive lifted up and I noticed the drive swinging back and forth about 3-4 inches or so while the steering wheel wasn't moving. I just had a brand new bravo 3 drive installed last season. I called my mechanic and he says "you need a new transom assembly". This of course without him even seeing it. Is this accurate? Should I check anything else? I don't have a trailer and the boat is in the water. He also said it's about 3000 bucks with parts and labor. Any help is appreciated. Thanks guys...

Ayuh,... If ya don't retorque the tiller arm to gimbel ring connection, annually during service, it wears out, 'n the square hole turns round...

So, Ya, ya might need a new gimbel ring...

TilliamWe

Banned

Try loosening the u-bolt that sticks out the back of the ginbal ring at the top. Spray some WD-40 stuff in there, then re-torque to 55lbs and see if that doesn't help. If it doesn't help, you need a new gimbal ring and $2500 would be about the least you could expect to pay. The motor has to be removed to do it. You mechanic should have found this problem last year when he installed the new drive. I'd shop for a new mechanic.

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

45Auto

Commander

I'll second the JR Marine kit. My drive had 5-6 inches of play when I bought my boat, the gimbal ring was worn out. I used the JR kit with their upper swivel shaft and extra-strength u-bolt. You can do it in a few hours, it works great, looks good, and you don't have to pull the engine.

2ifbyc

Seaman

Thanks for the replies guys... The gimbal ring was also replaced brand new when the drive was done last year. Does that change anything that you've all said? Can't imagine that I would need another one after 1 season. That was all we changed though. Drive and gimbal

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks for the replies guys... The gimbal ring was also replaced brand new when the drive was done last year. Does that change anything that you've all said? Can't imagine that I would need another one after 1 season. That was all we changed though. Drive and gimbal

Tighten the U-bolt first, then if it's still sloppy, it might be a loose pinch bolt on the steering shaft.

TilliamWe

Banned

It only re-inforces my opinion, time to find a new "mechanic"!