Small miss and occasional pop under first loading of motor, Volvo 5.0gl

firebird1158

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey guys... I have had this issue periodically for the last few years and cannot figure out what is causing it. It only does it once in a while when first loading boat to get on plane. It will give a little pop noise and then usually fine, but seems to miss a little on WOT some times as well. I have replaced all plugs and wires, new coil, fuel filter,checked distributor cap and timing... not sure where to go from here???

Any help on which direction to go would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Bifflefan

Commander
Re: Small miss and occasional pop under first loading of motor, Volvo 5.0gl

Its possible that you are running a bit lean, and the accelerator pump may not be putting enough extra fuel in on the initial hit of the throttle.
Try turning the idle adjustment screws out a half turn then see what happens. If you need more go another half
turn. It should not take more than one full turn, if so there is another issue with the carb and it probably should be rebuilt.
This assumes that you have a carb, since you did not say either way.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Sounds like it's going lean at higher rpm. Might want to look at the carb, may have some partially plugged hi speed passages.

This assumes that you have a carb, since you did not say either way.

The GL in the title indicates it's a carbed engine, doesn't tell us what model or year (that is what the rest of the letters tell us) but it does tell us it's carbed and at least a 1994 or newer engine.

No one ever posts the full model number of their engine, I guess they all think engines never change.

firebird1158

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sorry I am usually a stickler for details and forgot the year..opps

It is a 2000 Volvo 5.0GL PEFS... I should mention that the boat was a rental before i bought it and after wondering why it wouldn't go over 30 mph found a throttle block on it as well as the cable being in the 4.3GL hole and not the right one. The boat did backfire a little before I fixed this as well but rectified those issues and boat tops out in mid 40's WOT with 4 blade stainless 19 pitch prop on Larson 226SEI now.. which is about right to my knowledge.

So is there anything that usually wears out in the holly marine carbs?? Where is best place to buy a rebuild kit?

Thanks for the help guys... don't know what i would do without this forum sometimes!!