Surging stalling issue once warmed up

RPOWELL

Cadet
I guess ill list everything already done and give a short history first. it is the boat in my signature. It ran great all last season after the carb replacement with a new 1609 eldelbrok. i unwinterized it this year, new oil in the drive and motor along with filter, and water seperator. replaced spark plugs, wires, checked cap and rotor.

during our first outing this year july 16th, boat ran great for over an hour, then started surging badly and stalled. tried to restart imediately, would not re fire. waited about 10 after checking over the engine for obvious issues. started right up like nothing happened. idled great put it in gear and away we went. within 2 minutes surged and dies again. same senario played out all the way to the dock. took the boat home, put the ears on and went to diagnose. drained water seperator, no water in oil. drained all fuel out of the tank checked vents and hoses, refilled with fresh fuel. took it out again, about 15-20 minutes into this trip it started surging and dieing. again back on the trailer and home, replaced thunderbolt iv coil, and distributor sensor. again same problem, this time after 5-10 minutes. so after all of this i have searched and found from a local marina near me, im going to take the thunderbolt iv system off tomorrow and try the new Pertronix electronic ignition kit. Also there is no water in the oil checked that also. thinking possible head gasket.

my reason for posting is if anyone has seen this problem or knows of other items i need to check please let me know. thank you in advance.

RPOWELL

Cadet
Re: Surging stalling issue once warmed up

Also temperature never gets above 190 and when running fine up on plane runs at about 150

Bifflefan

Commander

It sounds like a fuel issue, or lack of fuel to be more precise.
The filter in the carb (if it has one) may be plugged, the main filter may be plugged or the fuel pump is going south. It may also be sucking air between the pump and the tank, or have a collapsed fuel hose.
Basically sounds like your running out of gas for some reason.

RPOWELL

Cadet

i have checked th fuel pump seems fine there are new lines from the pump to the carb, checked my vent to make sure it was working, brand new fule water seperator last week. carb is brand new last year no internal filter.

Bondo

Staff member

brand new fule water seperator last week.

Ayuh,... Did ya dump it out, 'n inspect for Water,..??

RPOWELL

Cadet

Ayuh,... Did ya dump it out, 'n inspect for Water,..??

I did indeed, i emptied it in a clear plastic container. no water in it at all. also i have completely drained and re filled with fresh fuel since then also.

RPOWELL

Cadet

Anyone else run into this problem too. I think im on the right track to getting it solved, i juat dont want to be wasting money when someone else has seen this before and its something simple.