Removing the distributor on aq120b

doggfather69

Seaman
I found a used distributor and will be ordering it. It seems I have a broken spring or two inside my current one. Once ready averything that needs done to change the springs and reset the darn thing I opted to just buy a replacement. Anyway at one point I tried to remove it to clean it out. I took one bolt out (only one I see) and it wouldnt budge. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Removing the distributor on aq120b

If it won't move, it's probably frozen (rust & corrosion) in the block.

doggfather69

Seaman

Got this advice from the guy I ordered the used distributor from. The dis if from a working pull that the engine threw a bareing.

"No, your not missing anything, them things are usually a pain. As long as your old one is shot, I'd say remove the cap(makes a good spare as a new one is $80), then take a long bar and hammer and smack on the part you took the screw out of to make it turn. Then hit the bottom of the distributor up ward to get a little gap inbetween the distributor base and block, use a small pry bar to pry it up and out. "

Does that sound correct?

doggfather69

Seaman

Whats the proper procedure to swaping this out? Any help?

sqbtr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Since the distributor is junk, pull the bolt soak it down with a 50/50 mix of ATF and acetone and let it sit overnight. Try to get it to spin with a hammer and punch once you get it moving it will come out.