1985 evinrude 115. Wont plain out. Slipping and reving

Clevernickname

Recruit
Hey guys, im new to the forum so let me say hello!!!! Now ill address my problem

I picked up a boat this past week with a 1985 evinrude 115 on it. Took it out today and it ran great for a few hours. Me and my buddy were just cruising around 30 havin a good time. Needless to day i was on and off the throttle because of all the wake in the overcrowded lake we went to.

After a while something strange started happening. The boat would not plain out... At all and would slip, stop accelerating and stop moving, over 3500 - 4000 rpms. So i would back off to neutral and reengage and it would work at low rpms.. I wasnt getting any clunking sounds. I did notice a really hollow whining type sound for a minute. We were putting our way back to the dock and the engine would randomly rev up and down and it would slip and have no power at all til i went to neutral and back to forward.

Get the boat home check my shifter cables they look ok... Drain lower unit oil - Top plug had a LITTLE bit of shavings on it.. Normal wear and tear looking shaves. Oil did not have any major milkyness to it nor any large shavings or anything. At first i assumed it was the clutch dog after doing some reading im thinking its the propeller...

I really need some help and opinion here.... I dont want to mark the prop and drive all the way to the lake to test it out, especially if its something in my lower unit.

Anything you guys can think of that i can do in the driveway to test.
Or any thoughts at all?

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1985 evinrude 115. Wont plain out. Slipping and reving

If you have a prop rebuild shop in your area take the prop to them and they can tell you if it's been slipping. As long as you didn't hear any clunking I'd go for the prop first. Or for a dumb question, did you get caught in a weed bed??

TD_Maker

Chief Petty Officer

I think your prop is slipping. You may HAVE to mark your prop and test it, or perhaps you can borrow a known "good" prop and give it a try. I will bet you will have your answer pretty quickly.

Clevernickname

Recruit

Didn't get caught in any weed beds or anything. We were just cruising in open water slowed to turn then opened it back up and it started acting up. Its kinda the sensation of a clutched being engaged when the RPMs increase... I took the prop off and the hub looks questionable. There were a few strings of rubber hanging out the top and it looks like burned rubber slightly above the hub bushing. The spacer behind the prop also has some burned or melted rubber on it. Tomorrows Tuesday and the Prop shop will be open so ill take it in for inspection...

I would like any suggestion of possibilities that i can check out just so i don't waste any time.
Thanks

Will Bark

Lieutenant

Based on your description of the hub it is a sure bet that you have a "spun" prop but the prop shop will be able to tell you for sure. good luck.

Clevernickname

Recruit

Yeah hopefully thats all it is cause im broke and i want to go out and play this weekend...

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

With the right prop & in tune you should get 5500 rpm at WOT.