1995 Mercruiser V8 5.0L Annoying Overheat Issue...Help!

soundview

Cadet
I have a '95 Mariah Talari with a RWC Merc 5.0L Aplha One Gen 2 and I have been chasing an overheat problem for a while...

History:

New impellor in August of last year. New Manifolds and risers and new thermostat in late June of this year.

Symptoms:

Currently running hot at the risers and manifolds. Boat ran like new after new manifolds/risers & thermostate were installed...ran at 170F all day long. However, in the last few weeks, I've been running hot at 3000+ RPMs. Gauge says 190-200, however alarm doesn't go off yet manifolds at 200 and risers at 150. If I slow the RPMs down, the temp drops as well.

The engine runs fine at idle yet heats up at load. New manifolds and risers and thermostat less than 2 months ago.

Today, at 1500 RPMs in neutral and in the water, engine was 150F, manifolds were in the 190s and the elbows were in the range of 115-135F. It seems the manifolds and risers are running hot.

Is there a restriction somewhere? Lots of growth in my area (LI Sound, NY) but I went under w/ the mask and cleaned the water intakes, etc.

Any thoughts? Clogged thermostat after 2 months?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1995 Mercruiser V8 5.0L Annoying Overheat Issue...Help!

Check/replace the impeller. All it takes is one plastic bag in the water to take out an impeller.