Lower unit leaking but holding air

jrtredo

Seaman Apprentice
I have a '79 70 Evinrude that I'm getting water into the lower unit oil. It has been really milky the last two times I have drained it. I made a pressure tester and pressure tested the lower unit to 15 psi and it held that pressure for 30 mins. I also tested with vacuum and it held a vacuum for 30 mins. Has anyone else had this happen to them? The drain and fill plugs have new gaskets. I looked at the propshaft and when I'm looking at the seal I can see the spring that is supposed to keep the rubber tight to the shaft. Any ideas? Could that seal be letting water in or letting oil out when the prop is turning?propshaft.jpg

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Lower unit leaking but holding air

I usually rotate the propshaft, driveshaft and shift rod while under pressure/vacume, to see if there is any leakage at those points.

jrtredo

Seaman Apprentice

Next time I take it out and drain it I will try that. Should I be real concerned at this point? I put synthetic lube in for now to be safe.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Did you drain the gear oil before the test? As Daviet suggested, moving the shafts gives a more representative test. Any of the seals may leak if the shaft or bearings are worn.

jrtredo

Seaman Apprentice

Yes, I drained the oil before doing gthe test. I will try turning the prop next test.

thanks

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Do what Daviet said above and you will find the prob. Just turning the prop shaft alone is not enough.