Engine only runs while priming the solenoid

tennantwv

Recruit
I have a 1984 omc and have currently rebuilt the carbs and cleaned. Put everything back together and now engine will only start while pressing the key in to prime. Can this be a mis adjusted float? I did not adjust them when I put the carbs back together. I am going to check for fuel pump operation tomorrow.

tennantwv

Recruit
Re: Engine only runs while priming the solenoid

By the way it is a 1984 OMC 1.6L V4

EN2

Chief Petty Officer

Check the float level. and drop,make shure the needle and seat are in good shape.

tennantwv

Recruit

Checked the float and drop levels and everything is fine Ive got a new gas tank and primer ball. When I first put the primer ball on I put it on backwards could this have ruined the primer ball? I am also in the midst of rebuilding the fuel pump. It just seems like it is starving for fuel as it won't idle or start without priming the solenoid. If it is not the fuel pump what else could it be?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

The primer gets it fuel from the fuel pump bypassing the carbs. Sounds like you still have carb probs.

samvnw51

Recruit

Check to see if any gas is getting into the float bowl. There is usually a screw or bolt in drain hole at the lowest point of the float bowl. If you open it and no gas comes out, then no gas is getting to the carb. This means the needle valve may be stuck or clogged. The primer gets gas direct from the fuel pump and bypasses the float bowl.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

You cleaned the carbs but did you remove and clean each jet with a copper wire, if not it isn't clean, the jets can look factory fresh but if you don't phsically clean them it will never run right, carb cleaner and compressed air alone don't get it.