lower unit lube

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral
Re: lower unit lube

85-90W marine gear oil. Less than 1 quart required. Squeeze in through the bottom drain hole until it squirts out the top drain hole. Don't take out the phillips screw.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

And use new seal washers on the drain/vent screws.

nwcove

Admiral

just a point of interest..... i always fill my small motors with them vertical on a stand, but recently watched a friend fill his gearcase (from the bottom hole) with the motor laying on its side. told him ididnt think it was a good idea to do it that way, because you can loose the expansion space, and blow seals out. is my old brain having a moment???? lol :eek:

dazk14

Ensign

There are a few motors that were filled that way, but 99.9% odds he doesn't have one... and yes, the expansion space is needed.

nwcove

Admiral

guess i should have mentioned .....it appeared to be a late 80's evinrude 9.9.

dazk14

Ensign

Your friend fits squarely into the 99.9% and you are 100% correct...

He may have some air pockets in there, but unless he's refilling with a specific ounce quantity(can be done), who in ell' knows what's in there.

The 9.9's of that vintage take 9 ounces from a dry start.

nwcove

Admiral

:facepalm:
The FULLY drained refill capacity of the 1973 6hp is 9 ounces. All other info has been posted.

thats great daz, nice to see you closed the thread ! hopefully others have all the info / opinions they need to properly service their gearcase! :facepalm: