85HP Force Outboard starter question

I recently had my 1988 bayliner capri out on the water running fine with no problems. Parked it for a couple hours while running my radio the whole time and went to start it....fired right up. Later that day I turned it off again to take a dip into the water, got back in the boat about 2 mins later, tried to start it and got nothing. Had to get towed in to the launch. In my driveway I have tried to start it and all I hear is a "click" which I believe is the choke clicking in and when I turn the key I get nothing. The battery is brand new bought this month, I tried jumping the battery anyways still nothing. I connected the positive jumper cable to the positive of the starter and the starter kicked over, so i'm assuming the starter is not bad. Have no idea where to go from here...... any ideas?? Thanks

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: 85HP Force Outboard starter question

On these engines the shift linkage has a bit of "slop" or "play." Frequently, the linkage, while putting the engine in neutral, will not depress the neutral interlock switch button. This part is located on the right (starboard) side of the engine below the carb. It is a brown switch with two yellow wires.

The first and fast cure for the no-start is to move the control lever through its full range from forward to reverse then back to neutral. This may re-center the interlock cam and allow the engine to start.

secondly, there in no need for a tow. Under these conditions, the engine can be rope started with the ignition switch on.

Re: 85HP Force Outboard starter question

That was it, the slop in the linkage. Thank you Frank! You saved Seafair 2011!!!