Suggest a better prop for my Tohatsu 8B

budbecks

Cadet
Hi all,

i have just brought a Honda 2.7m IE inflatable dinghy a Tohatsu 8 hp 2 stroke. Both 2005/6. All i am using it for is fishing inshore less than a mile from the shore.

I have a standard prop on it at the moment and with 2 people, 12l fuel tank, 2 rods and tackle bag it will plane and cruise if the water is flat/slight and one person on the front sitting backwards and one person kneeling down at the back in the middle controlling the engine. It also takes a while to get onto the plane.

if we sit on the tubes either side to balance the weight, regardless of how far back or forward we sit it will not plane. I have trimmed it to the best position possible and again can only get it planing if we sit in the middle as stated above.

I have another boat which i have had problems before with and we have changed the prop to get better control. Of course there is no tacho wth such a small outboard so couldn't tell you any info for that.

All i want to be able to do is to plane a bit quicker if possible probably by a decrease in prop size or pitch but im no expert so would like your advice.

Current stats.

Honda 2.7m IE Air Deck Inflatable Dinghy - 36kg
Tohatsu 8B 2-Stroke - 26kg
12lt Fuel Tank - ?kg
2 Persons @ 80kg each - 160kg
Fishing gear 6kg at most

Any help or advice would be great.

ksukats57

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Suggest a better prop for my Tohatsu 8B

Gonna need to know current prop pitch and WOT rpm