Volvo penta 5.7Gi overheating/water leaking from outdrive...

fire1680

Recruit
I have a 05 four winns with a Volvo Penta 5.7Gi, Had it out last week boat ran great then I look down and saw my temp gauge almost to 240 degrees with no alarms or buzzers going off. stop the boat and let it cool down and fired it up ran normal but temp was still going up. So I did what everyone told me and changed the impeller(the old impeller had one fin broken off) and for the heck of it changed the thermostat and gasket cause it looked bad.. Now when use my raw water fill and start the motor I do not have any water coming out of my exhaust. I have water coming out from the back of the outdrive

IMG_20110806_202901.jpgIMG_20110806_202913.jpgIMG_20110806_202921.jpg

Here is pics of the impeller and tstat

IMG_20110805_194718.jpgIMG_20110801_211530.jpg

Maclin

Admiral
Re: Volvo penta 5.7Gi overheating/water leaking from outdrive...

That is more normal than you are thinking right now. If you can hear and feel exhaust with that water then I think that is your exhaust idle relief port area. There are exhaust relief ports at the bottom of the outdrive, they are there for the exhaust to have an exit during cranking while in the water until the engine is running, then it has enough power to overcome the extra backpressure from the main exhaust exit being underwater.

Your overheat was caused by that old impeller. You did not mention finding the fin or pieces of it. That could be a problem later.

fire1680

Recruit
Re: Volvo penta 5.7Gi overheating/water leaking from outdrive...

I had a boat mechanic take a look at the impeller and he said that the part is small enough that I shouldn't worry bout it.. although I could have sworn I felt piece of rubber almost come out when I took the exhaust manifold water drain plug off and flowed some water, I will have to try and look for that piece again tomorrow. but that's good to hear bout the water leaking so far but I haven't had it in the water yet gonna take it out tomorrow to see if it still overheats..