Chris craft

ringo111

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a chris craft lancer with outboard motor mounted in side problem is engine well is always full of water adding more weight to stern 2 drain holes for well are below water level which makes no sense to me.wondering if i could fill up engine well with some kinnd of foam..would this affect boat .any ideas much app.

ringo111

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Chris craft

here are the pics you wanted.

Attachments

• DSCN1248-1.JPG
    DSCN1248-1.JPG
    112.2 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN1249-1.JPG
    DSCN1249-1.JPG
    120.2 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN1250-1.JPG
    DSCN1250-1.JPG
    131.3 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN1251-1.JPG
    DSCN1251-1.JPG
    117.4 KB · Views: 0

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

Interesting boat type - I don't think I've ever seen that setup before. I don't think I'd go the foam route as it will just absorb water and probably create clearance issues for your cabling, fuel line, etc.

What is making it fill with water? Is this while under way or just sitting? Is the engine significantly oversized for the boat creating a stern-low floating attitude?

Some options might be to add some more drail holes, this time just above the waterline. Cap them on the outside with those ball valves that do have some effect (not perfect, however) in keeping water backflowing. The water should then drain to the level of the new holes before you get up on plane, then hopefully drain the rest of the way once up and running.

If you do drill through your transom, use some kind of thru hull fitting and seal the exposed edges of the holes really well to prevent water seeping into the wood.

Good luck!

ringo111

Petty Officer 1st Class

lf i capped drainholes ,what difference would it make,sinse motor well is full of water all the time.just a thought.if i completly sealed of motor well ,would that work

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

So - it sounds like the water is coming in those "drain" holes and not sloshing over the back when you slow down, etc?

I must admit, the idea of that well being full of water all the time doesn't make sense to me. Motor wells do have drain holes for a reason but I don't think anyone intented them to be so full all your wires, etc. are always submerged.

I suppose you could plug those holes and while you're at it, install a small bilge pump in that area that pumps over the back of the transom, should you ever get any appreciable amount of water in there.

ringo111

Petty Officer 1st Class

what do you think of fully inclosing motor well