Gander Mountain

sea wolf

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I went to my local Gander Mountain store the other day to pick up some teak cleaner & was taken aback. They have just about done away with their boating supplies in my local store. No, they didn't even have teak cleaner. I was surprised becasue I was in the same store a few months back & they had an extensive stock of boating supplies, everything from anchors to zincs. When I asked a store employee where the teak cleaner was, he looked at me as if I asked him for change for a penny. Anyone expreience the same thing in their local G.M.?

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Re: Gander Mountain

My local store recently put all their guns behind a counter and eliminated all ammunition reloading equipment. However, their boating stuff is as abundant as ever.

Its a regional thing. To make money in today's economy you have to cater to your local customer base.

Raystownboater

Chief Petty Officer

Maybe it depends on the location of the store. Our store has gotten a bigger boating section after merging with Overtons

atx111

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I always walk out of Gander Mountain empty handed when looking for something boating related. We're getting a Cabelas next year, can't wait.

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

I went to my local Gander Mountain store the other day to pick up some teak cleaner & was taken aback. They have just about done away with their boating supplies in my local store. No, they didn't even have teak cleaner. I was surprised becasue I was in the same store a few months back & they had an extensive stock of boating supplies, everything from anchors to zincs. When I asked a store employee where the teak cleaner was, he looked at me as if I asked him for change for a penny. Anyone expreience the same thing in their local G.M.?

X 2 My experience as well. In Mn even... Land of 10,000 lakes....W T H ???!!! :eek: And the stuff they did have , seemed overpriced...IMHO :confused:

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Was just in the GM store in Kenosha Wi. which was the 1st new brick n' mortar store tey built after moving from Wilmot Wi. and I have to say that yes the store has changed greatly. Last I was in there a year ago there was a whole section of the store for boating supplies and eqipment. Not any more. Guess it has all gone online. A real shame!

Fishing Dude too

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Some of this is due to Insurance, EPA regs, and the economy. Local Walmart is cutting out much of this stuff. We have a West Marine and talked to a friend who works there said they are selling more of this stuff now so cost rise due to these factors is made up for.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

We're prohibited from bashing, so I'll keep my thoughts on Gander to myself.:rolleyes:

sbooy42

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Guess when I think boating I dont think Gander..

DuckHunterJon

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I think they are having a tough time as a company. We have one in Rochester, and I frequent the one in Watertown as well. Both are low on inventory of everything - hunting, fishing, and even clothes. My guess is the economy and a reduction in the number of hunters and fishermen is putting a hurt on them.

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

I never viewed GM as any type of boating store, didnt even know they carried that stuff. They wouldnt be on my list to go to, if I needed anything for my boat. Maybe some sporting equipment, but not for my boat.

badkins50

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I always just order from gander mountain online because there seems to be a lot of good coupon codes to use. I think alot of it has to do with overtons.