Newbie please help

Justrunit

Cadet
I have a t 1998 crownline with a 5.7 2 barrel carb, been running fine 5000rpm and 47 mph with a 17 4 blade prop, since last fill up will not run but 4000rpm and 38 mph changed all filters and cleaned line and carb new cap and rotor please any help at this point will be a plus thanks in advance

vaporvette

Cadet
Re: Newbie please help

running at 5k for a period of time can damage some engines.I would start with a compression test and then a volume test on the fuel pump(which may only be a problem when hot)

Justrunit

Cadet

I have not run the motor much at all at 5000rpm I have been a Drag racer for years build my own motor this has stumped me went to river the other day when this started we was going down river 4000rpm at 38 then all of a sudden took off like a bat out of hell run for a 200 yards then went back down to 4000 also had prop check this boat has a 1.62 alpha one lower unit

Justrunit

Cadet

Does anybody any clue what this might could be driving me nuts.

Justrunit

Cadet

I have had the carb totally cleaned and all filter also installed a gauge the pressure is fine.

Justrunit

Cadet

There are two things that was different got fuel different, and wife flipped kill switch tried to crank several times before she told me. Boat has not run right since about to drive me nuts

John_S

Rear Admiral

Did you find anything in the water sep filter?

Is this a vortec or standard head 2brl 5.7L?

Justrunit

Cadet

No nothing in filter, pulled a fuel sample to check for water today no bubbles, When we was in the river last one time and only one time the boat cut loose and run great for about 200 yards then went back to 4000 rpm, I dont know anything will be helpful at this point. This is a standard 350 5.7 with 2 barrell carb. 1998 Crownline 202br

John_S

Rear Admiral

No nothing in filter, pulled a fuel sample to check for water today no bubbles, When we was in the river last one time and only one time the boat cut loose and run great for about 200 yards then went back to 4000 rpm, I dont know anything will be helpful at this point. This is a standard 350 5.7 with 2 barrell carb. 1998 Crownline 202br

Check your total advance at 2k, 3k, 4K, rpms. Check connections related to T5 icm. When my icm went, it was erratic for a while. The advance timing wuld go to a point and stop. Every once in a while it would "kick in" and get full advance. The icm looks like a solid piece of silicon, but actually has a silicone sealed cover, and water can get in there. There is goop over the circuitry to protect it, but still had issues. I ended up changing icm and the problem went away. I went with the newer retrofit kit which includes new harness connectors. It is expensive, so you want to make sure you are having a timing advance issue.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=349441