????

TMALEGA

Petty Officer 1st Class
The title says it all the best way i can lol. Anyways here i go. I just came from a 1974 starcraft americana fiberglass 16ft deep v boat, upgraded the hull to a 1986 16ft bayliner capri. Now all i was looking for in the new hull was being a solid transom and floor. Since the starcraft almost fell in the lake the last time. Got that in the new bayliner. However reading all the horror stories and complaints everyone has on the bayliners i am starting to wonder if i screwed up and bought a second pile of junk. Like i said everything is good and solid in the boat hull and i put my 1985 85 hp force outboard on it. I have yet to be able to get out to the lake since i have been having to rig everything to the boat and motor. Adjust out some differences and get it all squared up. How bad are the bayliners? I know it was a cheap made boat. However so was the starcraft and according to titles the starcraft cost less then the bayliner.

I understand the rise in cost, i guess my long winded question is this, are these boats good solid boats? Will it be a terrible riding boat in any kind of waves? I mean most of the time i wont get out in winds over 20 mph since it is such a short boat but the starcraft was a 16ft very light weight boat. This bayliner weighs over 500 lbs off the show room floor then the starcraft that as i found out had dry rot in the transom and floors so had really no weight left in it. Sorry it is so long winded just kind of worried now reading all the bayliner bashing on here. Thanks for any support in making me feel better now. :)

NYBo

Admiral
Re: ????

You've already stated that the boat is good and solid, so it's a good, solid boat!.

Yours is right on the edge of the crappy Bayliner build debacle. They apparently cut some corners at the time of the redesign that occurred for the '87 model year. They didn't seal the cockpit sole well starting with that year (ask me how I know this:mad:). It is this generation that really ruined Bayliner's reputation.

azlakes

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Well you went from a 35 yr ol boat to a 24 yr ol boat and went with an entry level line.. dont be to hard on the setup if you find a few issues... it will matter how the boat was maintained since its build...

TMALEGA

Petty Officer 1st Class

I started reading other threads in the bayliner section and it seems they got a bad rep from the newer models like 90 and up to 97 so I dont feel so bad now. i did realize the upgrade in years that was the second selling point when i was looking around. I always had heard all these great things about bayliners and they are huge sellers around here from what I hear if it is true I have heard they beat out trackers.. but thanks for the help in easing my mind.