hull repair

texasvet54

Petty Officer 1st Class
I looked at my 1992 ProCraft 179 Combo hull today and I found that I have several chips in it right on the edge where the side meets the bottom of the boat. Can anyone tell me the best way to make repairs?

I've attached a picture of my boat on the lift if that helps. The chip shown is roughly 1 1/2" long.

Thanks,
texasvet

Attachments

• Photo072.jpg
    Photo072.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 0

texasvet54

Petty Officer 1st Class
hull repair posted here

hull repair posted here

I posted this in the repair forum but got no replies, so I'll try here.

"I looked at my 1992 ProCraft 179 Combo hull today and I found that I have several chips in it right on the edge where the side meets the bottom of the boat. Can anyone tell me the best way to make repairs?

I've attached a picture of my boat on the lift if that helps. The chip shown is roughly 1 1/2" long."

Thanks,
texasvet

Attachments

• Photo072.jpg
    Photo072.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 0

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: hull repair posted here

Marine tex is the quickest but you might sneak by with gel coat repair

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

What kind of results are you looking for? With the Metalflake finish trying to get an exact match is going to be difficult. If all you want is to patch it up and seal it from the elements then Bobs suggestion of Marine Tex will work but it is and epoxy based product and gelcoat will not adhere to it so if you want to gelcoat in the future it will be an issue. I would mix up some poly resin and cabosil and some chopped glass fibers and fill it. Sand and Fair. You will then need to mix up some Metal Flake Gelcoat and spray it to match as best you can. OR have a Pro do the repair.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

yeah....that is metal flake.....

one of the toughest gellcoat repairs.

the spot isnt that big.....so if you dont look too close....you will get away with it.

search gellcoat repair...or look in the index of the thread in my link...ther is detailed instructions on gellcoat repair there...that is the basic steps...
since you are doing metal flake.....make the base gellcoat silver....then when the gellcoat is wet, take some metal flakes in the palm of your hand....and blow them into the repair. do it several times so the area is filled with them........wait till its tacky and allmost cured....then brush or spray in the marble clear gellcoat.......then finish as normal

cheers
oops

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

OOPS ^^^ is the PRO so follow what he says.

texasvet54

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for all the replies guys.

texasvet