Is it worth it (3.7 Mercruiser)

Threest20

Cadet
Hello all, well i finally got the engine running today. Its a 1988 sportcraft 210 fisherman in pretty decent shape, not perfect but not bad either. It has the 3.7. I rebuilt the carb as it was rusted and wouldnt even move the choke flap or butterflies, turned out really good. Put it back on, put some oil in the spark plug holes, turned over with a wrench at first to make sure it wasnt seized, even squirrted some oil in the intake to get the top of the valves wet. jumped the starter to get some oil at least primed a bit throught the system then let it rip. started right up, smoked out the oil i put in and stopped smoking. water was put in the cooling system just so i could see the condition of the engine when it started so i didnt waste antifreeze if it was bad. muffs were on out drive as well. water leaked from the riser/manifold gasket pretty good and the engine really rattled when i gave some throttle to it. doesnt rattle at idle, oil pressure 35-40 psi even with rattle. is there something that may cause this rattle other than bad main/rod bearings? where is the best place to get an engine for it? i know there were different models so does it haffta be my model or can any 3.7 fit in there? and lastly is it worth it? im located in south jersey, thanks all!

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Re: Is it worth it (3.7 Mercruiser)

I think 470 (3.7) blocks are pretty much interchangeable but the exhaust systems are not, yours is the most modern and if you were to get an older block you would want to use your parts on it. Bad rod or main bearing should knock, a rattle could be something as simple as the exhaust shutter. There are usually 470 blocks on e-bay. Worth it? IMHO the best way to determine that is to hire a reputable boat surveyor to look over the boat, hull, engine and outdrive and give you a report. Would be money well spent in the long run.