Question on replacing Gear Housing on '84 OMC

djmeaney

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I need some "Straight Talk" on an opportunity to purchase a boat that needs a new Gear Housing and Bushing (omc part #982226) on the upper gearcase. As best I can tell the boat has a 1984 OMC 3.8L sterndrive. The motor has less than 700 hours on it. The problem is that the Gear Housing is cracked and needs to be replaced (it sounds as though all parts are there). The damage was done when someone was trying to raise the outdrive by towing along the boat ramp. Apparently, there was an electrical problem that prevented the owner from raising it the usual way. Anyway, in the process the Gear Housing was cracked.

I am not a professional, but am mechanically inclined, can follow instructions in a manual and have done some work on small outboards in the past. My questions are how difficult is this job and what would be a fair range to pay for necessary parts?

The outdrive was damaged about a year ago -- is there anything else I should be concerned about? I'm not sure if the fuel tank has had fuel in it all this time etc.

The reason I'm even considering is because of cost. The boat an early 80's Sea Sprite appears to be in good condition from the photos (haven't seen it in person yet) and can be had with trailer for less that $1,200.

Appreciate the thoughts of those more experienced than me.

Dan

Last edited:

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral
Re: Question on replacing Gear Housing on '84 OMC

run away

that isn't a good project. If you ignore that advice and go look at it, go prepared to pressure test the engine block and inspect the exhaust manifolds for cracks. Thos manifolds are no longer available and to convert to OSCO center riser manifolds is about $1350 + shipping.

Shift cable is $600 for those drives.

If a 3.8 /800 series setup is in good, well maintained condition, they can be great - they steer and handle awesome and they are quiet

But as a project, that is a poor choice.

The only way to go for a cheap runabout i/o project is Chevy V6 or V8 in front of a Mercruiser Alpha One

superbenk

Commander

Not worth it as Howard said. I got a free boat with all OMC parts intact & I hate the feeling of knowing I'm up you-know-what creek if anything important breaks.

If you need to replace gear cases, you'll need special tools to do the shimming properly toowhich are expensive & hard to come by (eBay).

djmeaney

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the info.

When I made the original post I thought it was the Intermediate Housing that needed to be replaced. After doing some more research I found out it was actually the gear case and bushing where it attaches to the Intermediate Housing.

I'm going to take a pass on this one, and keep looking for a solid $1,000 boat.

Thanks again,

Dan

wire2

Lieutenant Commander

If you need to replace gear cases, you'll need special tools to do the shimming properly toowhich are expensive & hard to come by (eBay).
It can be done with only a dial indicator. Take a guess at the shims, assemble it, lift the upper with a screwdiver & use the indicator to see what play there is, adjust shims accordingly.