1974 Evinrude 50hp Water in cylinder... Part 2. With pics of exhaust

Hi again,

So in trying to fix my water leaking into the cylinders, I removed the Head and the head gasket looked fine. On the outer cover of the exhaust there is the pee tube attached to a threaded hole as you can see here. IMAG0176.jpg However, the inner cover also has a threaded hole which the pee tubes thread can not reach. IMAG0170.jpgDoes that tube need to thread into the inner cover also? It wouldn't make sense to me as that is the exahust, but why the threaded hole? Thanks again for all of your help! It is greatly appreciated!!

IMAG0183.jpg

Fed

Commander
Re: 1974 Evinrude 50hp Water in cylinder... Part 2. With pics of exhaust

You can't have a hole there it will squirt water into your cylinder.
Maybe someone drilled out the outer cover to put a telltale in but they went too far and got the baffle too.
I'd quickly get the cylinder lubed up & turn it over by hand then replace the baffle & give it a good long run, motors don't like water getting inside them.

jbjennings

Captain

You can't have a hole there it will squirt water into your cylinder.
Maybe someone drilled out the outer cover to put a telltale in but they went too far and got the baffle too.
I'd quickly get the cylinder lubed up & turn it over by hand then replace the baffle & give it a good long run, motors don't like water getting inside them.

Ditto..... good post and likely analysis..
JBJ

Thanks a bunch you guys. I'll plug the hole and put it back together. Hopefully she'll run well afterwards!!!