Merc 140 prop seal

LSmiley

Recruit
I have been slowly bringing my old boat back to service. There is gear oil leaking out of the prop/exhaust area. I have tackled outdrive issues before, never this one.
Book shows the retainer removed, then the bearing carrier, replacing the seals and O-ring.
Before i start, the call for a puller if it is stuck, but does the carrier usually come out without one, being hard only if there is corrosion?
BTW my last questions answered on ignition issues and fuel were very helpful.

fishrdan

Admiral
Re: Merc 140 prop seal

Split the drive and pressure test it to see where the gear lube is coming from, it could be dripping down from somewhere, shift shaft seal, vertical shaft seal, waterpump seals..... My drive had been rebuilt 7-8 years ago and I still needed a puller for the carrier, no corrosion, the Oring was stuck tight. I just used a rope and slide hammer. On one of oops! 's threads, someone posted up a cool carrier removal tool, bearing puller, some chain and a couple quick links, looked like it would work well.

LSmiley

Recruit
Re: Merc 140 prop seal

Thanks!
I'm doing the waterpump next so all will be replaced, I get good cooling when hooked to a hose BUT I have not put an impeller in it in over 18 years, including 10 of use! I figure it's time...